PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Vibration - yes I know it's impossible to tell why.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Default Vibration - yes I know it's impossible to tell why.

OK - bought a 2008 H3 3.7l a couple of weeks ago. 52k miles on it but it's 10 years old. I am getting a vibration from; it seems to me, the suspension. So here's what I've tried so far.
1. balanced the wheels
2. added the hub rings that were missing when I purchased it.
3. Allignment.

The problem still persists. I have read forums and have had the rest of the suspension checked over. I can say that the bump stops are gone. GM has a different name for them but I cannot seem to find the part in their diagrams. Is that enough to cause a fairly significant vibration? I've read where the truck has been lifted with the original stops and the only issue reported was diving when braking hard.

Could the shocks be the cause here? I'd hate to spend the $ and they not be the culprit but they are the OEM shocks. I also ordered a bluetooth code reader to use with my phone to see if there are any codes popping up to make sure that it's not the engine. I don't think it is.I have had two different sets of tire monkeys look it over when balancing and aligning and no reports of any thing broken. I've been under it and cannot see any issues. I hear the drive shaft can cause this I haven't tried shaking it yet but I guess I should - it's raining though.. lol.

One more detail. the vibration seems to be happening after I go over a rough patch and it happens at almost any speed - It happened at about 25 mph. I've listened to the engine but have not heard any thing that would concern me about how it is running other than a very light vibration at idle.

Thoughts? suggestions? Am I on the right track or should I try to sell this to some other sucker... lol
Thanks!

Old 03-23-2018, 05:50 PM

What's the condition of your tire tread? I had a terrible time with vibration/shaking in my H3, especially when braking. I had big knobby tires and the tread had become chopped up from driving it on the interstate. I replaced them with new tires and it was like I had a brand new truck after that - all the shaking was gone. Other things I know that can cause vibration... I had really bad vibrations and shaking at idle, had to replace the spark plugs. There is also a metal band that is known to snap on the exhaust causing a vibration.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:15 PM

Bump Stops. GM PART NUMBER 15783030

Old 03-23-2018, 09:59 PM

Please explain what "hub rings that were missing" are?

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Please explain what "hub rings that were missing" are?
There are after market rims on the H3 - the center hole on the tire is 108mm the hub ring is 100mm I got the rings to close that gap.

as for the tires they are brand new as far as I can tell Bridgestone Dueler AT - 265-75-r16

Old 03-23-2018, 10:57 PM

Thank you for that. I just couldn't find them. I have ordered them as having them complete can't hurt the suspension.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:34 AM

Couple questions to clear my thinking up as this sounds familiar with what i just went thru:

- Is truck raised by the torsion bar adjustment? If so you need the extended bump stops and not the OEM.
- What shocks are on there now? Aftermarket or OEM?
- You mentioned the last detail about a vibration over a rough patch - as like when the suspension is at full travel you are getting the vibration? Try from a dead stop and take off and when the front end raises are you getting vibration?
-

Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Default Answers

It is not raised the front is at 20.5 inches. The short bump stops are non existent and I intend to replace them this week when they arrive. I do not notice vibration on acceleration only after 35 to 40mph. I have the stock shocks still they have never been replaced.i looked under at the cv joints and they are in tact and not exposed. I havent had it on a jack yet since I dont have one. When I do get it in the air i plan to check the drive shaft and axles for play or clicking. But i hear no clicking at all when its running.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:02 AM
Default Well I have part of it solved!

Ok, so for the record, I have chased this issue quite a bit and am almost finished with it I hope. So here's the latest for posterity I suppose.
Wheels balanced, alignment completed and added the hub rings to fit the after market rims to the smaller hub with negligible effect on the vibration.
Replaced front bump stops with oem parts and HOLY MOLY! Rides much much smoother. Noticed a little wobble in the front drivers side tire when it was lifted, very slight but it wasnt completely off the ground.
Having the bearing checked today. Could be finished with it after almost a month of tracking it down.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by classic87
Couple questions to clear my thinking up as this sounds familiar with what i just went thru:

- Is truck raised by the torsion bar adjustment? If so you need the extended bump stops and not the OEM.
-
Not true. You do not "NEED" extended bump stops when leveled up front. Understood that many will want them, but need is a different story.

I have had mine T Bar adjusted for more than a decade, on the road the front A Arms make no contact with the OEM bump stops, not an issue. Might be a 3/4" gap there. In fact, I want it that way to increase travel in the front IFS for wheeling and stuff the fender. Yes if you hammer the brakes the nose tilts down to make contact with the bump stops, but I usually do not mash on the brakes unless traffic makes it mandatory.

Embrace the flex.

Quick Reply: Vibration - yes I know it's impossible to tell why.