PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Your opinion!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Exclamation Your opinion!!

First off, i've scanned briefly through the forum and havent found much on my issuse. I'm sure that i could read every thread but just dont have time, but i do have 2 simple questions that you forum pros might have the answer to.

First- I purchased my h2 used with great mileage, when i bought it the man stated the front end had new tires; didnt think much of it. Now 8 months later i think i know why. I noticed that the driver side front tire had inner wear aggresively after about 4-5 months in; than squeaking and break dust due to a bent meatal piece because of the positioning of tire and break system. So we jacked it up and the tire was wiggling and we found that the hub assembly was shot and caused the tire to *** out a bit causing wear, so i fixed the hub assembly and bought two new tires (22" after market-came with truck, thinner tires for this size truck -in my opinion).

Problem solved right. Not exactly, now another 4 months or so later the wear on the front, inner, driver tire is back. Im at the point now that the tire has to be replaced again. I called the h2 dealer here in AZ, and he said that the original owner,( the guy that sold me the truck told me were he maintineced it) never had an allighnment.

Now at my normal service location the mechanic said an allighment wouldent really help and that the weight of truck just caused wear on the front, but my left is not as worn so i know there is something wrong with the driver side front.

Any how the Machanic where this guy had it maintineced told me that a big allighment( $249.00) he calls it supposedly a more thourough allighment that adjust all aspects of allighning will FIX the issue..-Totally, which would be great, But i am hesitant.

The axel sems fine, the steering wheel does not pull when i drive; the truck rides like a champ, but this tire wear is upsetting and causing me to go through rubbers like a gigolo--

**I guess the question is if you think that A Big Allighnment described above could fix this issue or have you heard of this type of wear on a h2 and your opinion?

2nd question- My truck leaks a lil water when we have air conditiong on- its coming from the passenger front area of engine it leaks out water especially when ac is on and idleing parked ( i do live in the countrys oven though AZ), probably just as much when i drive but i cant tell and ideas??

Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM

I think I would just go for it. Sure it's 250$ but it's better than buying new tires every 4 months right?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by GRILLSMASHER
2nd question- My truck leaks a lil water when we have air conditiong on- its coming from the passenger front area of engine it leaks out water especially when ac is on and idleing parked ( i do live in the countrys oven though AZ), probably just as much when i drive but i cant tell and ideas??
That's not a leak. It's condensation. Phoenix is in its monsoon season so you will get lots of water condensing and dripping.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the front suspension for wear? Worn Tie rods, etc can cause tires to wear unevenly. The weight of the truck is not the issue, otherwise big rigs and every other H2 out there would be replacing tires every four months. Some of the national tire chains will sell you a lifetime alignment for $200.00. Take it in after you go offroading each time.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Thx Guys i really appreciate the responses. I think ill go ahead and get an allighnment and have them run a full suspension checkup!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:16 PM

My brand new H2 needed an alignment.....had it done and now it's fine.....so it probably just needs that to be done.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 PM

So you opt for the big alignment Vs what, the Half *** alignment? Sounds like a crock of **** to me. I'd get more details on what the hell is the difference before just saying go ahead.

I bet your idler arm (pass side) is shot and probably your pitman also. I just went through this. Alignment shop told me my tierods were ****, paid'em to replace'em..they were wrong.

Jack up 1 side on the front (the other sides tire is still on the ground). Like when you check for bad bearing- you wiggle the tire from top to bottom... This time do it left to right. Anything more than 1/2" means your tires are just kinds going their own direction down the road.

I had 2 different alignment shops never even check this.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 PM

I would take it to a good mechanic to line it up! Also keep in mind if you do not run the tire pressures at the proper pressures, there can be excessive wear. I ran my pressures up on what the side wall said. Boy did it start to eat up the tires! The dealer told me to follow what Hummer said not what the side wall said.
Just my two cents!