PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Are you as unhappy as me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Default Are you as unhappy as me?

I have a 2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition with 83,500 miles and I have owned it since it was new. I have never taken my car off road and still I am replacing stuff like I have sent my car to hell and back. I have had to replace everything after the warranty period. To date I have replaced my exhaust manifold pipe, wiper motors, radiator and accessories, a/c condenser and accessories, gas cap, purge vent valve, vent solenoid. My radiator had the cracking at the top by the fill cap but the reason why I had to have mine replaced was because the transmission cooling lines that run through it broke and pumped my overflow container full of transmission fluid. When I had the radiator replaced they drained my tranny and told me some of the radiator fluid had made its way in to the tranny and could cause problems later down the road. I still can't get my car to pass inspection because of evap issues and it looks like I will have to also replace my evap canister and/or my evap pressure sensor. I also have the intermittent problem that others have spoke of when braking at a light it feels like my car is going to stall out and then it comes back to life. I emailed the hummer customer service website and surprisingly they responded back very quickly. They questioned why I did not have the repairs done through a GM dealership and I explained to them that I was out of warranty at the time and I did not want to pay dealership prices for out of pocket repairs. I asked them if they would cover the cost of the repairs if I took it to a dealership even though my vehicle was out of warranty and they said no but it would help document the problems and if it was determined to be manufacturer defects and not just normal wear and tear they may be able to do something. They also harped on the fact that I have not taken my car in yet for the hood louver safety recall and wanted to know when I was going to do so. I explained to them that I wanted to fix all the things that make my car drive first before I fix my hood louvers. I further explained that I installed hood handles and I did not pay a dealership $200 to install them so even if I did have the recall done they would blame that the hood louvers flew off because of my hood handles and I would not be covered anyways. I wish there was an easy way to make GM own up to the fact that they put out a product with defective parts and then just washed their hands of it by dropping the entire line. Sorry for being long winded.....I just needed to vent just like my evap system.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 PM

they didn't drop the lie to wash their hands of faulty parts, they dropped it because it wasn't making as strong of a profit and with new fuel mileage and carbon footprint regulations would cause them to redesign everything or add vehicles that did not support the hummer way of life. as for it being a bad product it sounds like you either got a bad one or you are hard on the vehicle or do not keep up on basic maintenance. I too have an 07 but with 66k miles. I've had the radiator crack problem, but got gm to pay for it, that's it, no other problems at all, as have many others. Every car has a bad one here and there, but yours sounds unusual

Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 PM

Some of the things you mention are just regular maintanance. The stalling while braking could be as simple as cleaning your throttle body and MAF. Ours was doing the exact same thing. Clean them properly and it should stop. The radiator crack was a defect. Hopefully you had G.M. pay for it. We haven't had any out of the ordinary problems with our 2007.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Default High Maintenance

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've had a bunch of minor problems and I've only owned mine for a year. It's a 2006 with 140,000 miles.

The biggest problem I had was the TC fork, but the dealership that sold it to me paid for the repair. It was a really BIG hassle though. The last thing I repaired was the drivers side power switch in the door. It went bad one day and I had a tough time getting out of the door. The manual unlock wouldn't release for me

I'm waiting on the dealership to get a louver in for it. It blew off the last time I went through the car wash.

So far it hasn't left me stranded for too long (30 minutes one time because of the passlock).

But, I love driving the H3. It's comfortable, fun to drive and will get me to the best remote camping spots. Hummer...Like Nothing Else!

If I ever get tired of repairs I can sell it or trade it in.

Happy trails!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Nope.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 AM

That stinks. Open a case with GM and see if they'll show some goodwill for at least some of the non-maintenance parts. If that goes no where, explain about the issues you've had on their facebook or other social networking pages. Just keep it classy.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:10 AM

07 H3 here, gets plenty of offroading, plenty of water crossing, owned since new, and has not had a single issue to date, just normal servicing.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 AM

In the last 4 years,I have driven 2 h4 for about 60000 miles.each one gave me a tps light once. The first was a slight leak on the seal of the valve stem. The 2nd,was caused by "?" low pressure in all 4 from a drop in temp to 6 deg f , I guess! I pumped up to appx 37 and all is well.
Otherwise my only problem is keeping the tank full.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Post warranty we've had the following problems with our 2006:

1. BCM replacement (aftermarket trailer wiring melted on the muffler, my fault)
2. Radiator replacement (cracked top)
3. Transmission (broken forward sprag)
4. Exhaust cam actuator solenoid (leaking oil)
5. Thermostat (needs replacement, diaphram likely torn, as a fair weather diy mechanic I'm still waiting to replace it)

Considering that we're already over 150k miles and the truck is still so solid, I think we're doing great so far. It still looks brand new inside and out!

Last edited by NJTEX; 02-06-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 AM

Quick question from a H2 owner, are most of these problems with the inline 5 cylinder models or the 5.3 alpha models? The 5 cylinder models have a number of known problems, like head / valve problems. I have a buddy who works for GM and tells me to stay away from the GM inline 5 motors (canyon / colorado trucks) because they area a mess. The V8 5.3 with the 4L60E trans is a reliable / proven set up from the 1/2 ton trucks.

Quick Reply: Are you as unhappy as me?