PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Are you pleased with your H2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Default Are you pleased with your H2?

I am looking for some opinions. I currently drive an 08 Civic. Yes, small. I bought it last December when my 97' GMC Yukon became too unreliable (Over 150k miles) and needed something better on fuel. Fast forward a year and I really miss a large vehicle. The Civic is well built, well designed and easy to drive. It's "okay" in the Rochester, NY snow, and overall is easy to live with. I still truly miss the versatility and fun of a large SUV. I put some General Grabber ATs on the Yukon and that thing was a beast.

My dream vehicle for a long time has been an H2. I love big black and big white ones, with the BFG tires and a huge spare out back. Just look menacing and bigger than almost anything on the road.

I am now considering buying a used H2, 2003 or 2004, due to the falling prices of large vehicles. I can get a nice lower mileage H2 for a bit over 20k. Now here is my question:

I don't want to be blinded by my unbridled enthusiasm for Hummers. Are they good vehicles? I realize this is a biased source, but I would like honest opinions. I commute to work, 10 miles each way and that's about it outside of daily driving. I don't do alot of highway driving, couple road trips of 300-400 miles every year. I love being in command in bad weather and not worrying about getting out of work late and dreading a horrible white-knuckle ride home. I also value quality. I have never owned a "lemon" vehicle, nor one that needed excessive service. I simply will not tolerate a vehicle that must be babied and serviced with more frequency than other vehicles.

I also would like to know if there is any compelling reason to buy a 2004 over a 2003? 2005 is out of my price range but I'd rather have a lower mileage 2003 than a 2004, unless there is some big change or difference I should look for? I really want to love an H2 and it is my dream vehicle, but I also like Denalis and Z71 Tahoes, so hit me with your opinions!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Default RE: Are you pleased with your H2?

Get the HUMMER. Now, do not get stuck in the “I can only afford such and such a year”. There are tons of deals out there just keep looking till you find what you want. All of the bodies are the same from 03 to current, only minor trim changes. The interior changed once that I know of and that is 06. I have a 05 LUX and LOVE IT. I also own several other vehicles and this drive, rides and handles like my 2007 Tahoe 4x4. Off road though or in bad weather this is KING. Beats all my other 4x4s in the drive. The only and my only complaint is the visibility out the back takes some getting used to and once you acclimated no problems. My recommendations to everyone, this is not a vehicle for everyone. It is large, heavy and not really meant for the everyday commuter driver just because of the fuel mileage. But with what you are diving it would be fine to go to work and back everyday. However with some mods and tweeks you can improve the mileage. Hope this helps.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. Around 50k miles, there are plenty to be had at the $22k price point. I realize I will be spending more on gas, 66% more to be exact. Right now I can fill up for around $25 and drive about 320 miles. I'm guessing with an H2 I'll fill up for around $60 and drive closer to 400 miles.

Just another question...most of the H2 I see have the spare in the cargo bay. Is there any reason for this vs on the back? Any drawback to having it outside? I personally like the way it looks and gives more room inside. Can this be changed and how expensive? Is this an option more people don't opt for or was it a model year change?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 PM

GET THE HUMMER....I just got one back in nov...of this year...Its a black 2003 H2 w/38k came with 22" wheels on...Was on the lot for sale since (march) of this year...They could not move it...was listed for 27k got down too 20k...WITH THE WHEELS...Wish i had the stock wheels to put on for the winter...1 GREAT TRUCK...Gets lots of looks and isvery FUN to drive...Justgot the onstar going VERY NICE...I can call anyone on verizon...and talk HANDSFREE all day...U WOULD NOT BE DISPOINTED IF U WOULD GET THE HUMMER...LIFE IS TO SHORT NOT TO HAVE ONE...TODD IN VA

Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 AM

Mine is a 2003 and I have had really great luck with mine. I would not hesitate to buy a 2003 or up. I too like the tire on the bumper. Pick out a color and drive it home. You need to get out of that sissy car and back in a truck

Old 12-19-2008, 11:45 AM

I have had my H2 for four months. It snowed quite a bit this week in Vegas so the wife and I took the day off so we could play in the snow with our Hummer. We had a blast! Little wifey LOVES the Hummer! Nicest vehicle we have ever owned.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Another question, are the seats comfortable for long trips?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 AM

Hey brando!!!!

HONESTLY, the H2 is THE BEST/COOLEST Rig!!!

I HAD a Denali, Had a Tahoe Z71 and HAVE a 2007 Escalade!!! The H2 outclasses and TOTALLY outperforms any of the previously listed vehicles!!!

This is the best winter vehicle I've ever owned(even owned a couple of JEEPS along the way) and it is COOL TOO!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 AM

The seats are really comfortable. This is by far the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. If I could afford it I would buy a new 2007 H2.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Hummer is a good, solid vehicle.

I bought my 08 because I was having back problems (I couldn't sit in my car). The seats are great. Mind you, I can't sit in the 07's because they are more rounded like bucket seats. 08 seats are good. Long rides are easy.