PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Yesterday's offroad carnage

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Default Yesterday's offroad carnage

Went through Charoleau Gap, AZ with seven others - H1, H2, 3-H3s, Wrangler, Tacoma, Lexus LX470 (Land Cruiser). This wasn't an H3-friendly trip, at least for me. Here's my damage report:

Ripped a tire off the bead (those offroad-lousy Wrangler RT/S.) Scratched the wheel pretty good. Another wheel lost chunks of metal at the edge.

Steering wheel is now off-center. Steering isn't pulling so I may have bent something.

Lost one wheel center cap. Hello eBay, $30.

License plate bent to horizontal

Why you don't offroad with aftermarket exhausts - one tip bent nearly flat, the other went from round to oval. Just noticed that I reshaped the rear bumper too from one of the many drops onto it.

Many dents and bends in the skid plates and undercarriage protection.

Some water in the passenger footwell from fording a stream. Almost dry now after parking in the desert sun for a few hours with the windows down.

Nearly ripped off a rear mudflap. Backing up offroad, the mudflap came between the wheel and a rock. The tire used the mudflap for traction, pulling out a couple of the plastic snaps and yanking out the screws. Need to get some new snaps in place. The Tacoma did the same thing but he ripped off his mudflap and broke most of the connectors holding his OEM fender flare in place.

Very thankful for the recently installed UCP and the Rocky Roads that I've had for a while. Both got HUGE workouts yesteday. Will post video next week sometime.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Default RE: Yesterday's offroad carnage

HOLY CRAP! Looks like your vehicle starred in a $100,000,000 Action/Adventure movie! If I had an off road weekend like that, I'd be crying like a baby!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the damage. How did the other 3s do? Looking forward to the pics

Old 02-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Damn Alrock, I've wondered how the dual exhaust would fair in that situation. One reason I'm thinking about the dual exteme on the sides. And I have always wondered why they put the plate there, why not just put it on the spare like the H2? Hell, the carwash bends my plate let along what you did.

Hope none of your damage is too severe. Looks like you had some fun though.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 PM

Each H3 had its issues - primarily getting caught up on the rear differential and leaf springs. Each H3 saw the strap but I think I won with three pulls. H1 did some minor damage to one wheel and spent a lot of time scraping. Lexus bent a panhard rod, he thinks. H2 didn't do more than break off the center star in his Rockstar wheels. No damage to the Jeep. About 11 hours on the trail over 20 miles.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 PM

yay! someone to join me in the bent bumper club! lol

this is why i had a custom exhaust tucked under the bottom

Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: rhill20

And I have always wondered why they put the plate there, why not just put it on the spare like the H2?
I bent my plate countless times and finally caved and got a spare tire mount for it. Used some LEDs to light it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/482/31FCC11F1421441080C65D579B0156A8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: alrock

Steering wheel is now off-center. Steering isn't pulling so I may have bent something.
It's probably just the wheel being misaligned. It's happened to me a couple times. You pin a tire against a rock and the steering wheel turns another couple degrees. [:@] If its not pulling just have it taken care of with your next alignment.

And wear them scars with pride. It distinguishes you from the mall-crawling types.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Sewie

It's probably just the wheel being misaligned. It's happened to me a couple times. You pin a tire against a rock and the steering wheel turns another couple degrees. [:@] If its not pulling just have it taken care of with your next alignment.

And wear them scars with pride. It distinguishes you from the mall-crawling types.
I hope it's just an alignment. I won't have time to get to it for a couple of weeks.

I'm good with the scars, the mud, the scrapes. Big $, not so much. I may be ok though. Tire just needed reseating, that's all good now.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Each H3 had its issues - primarily getting caught up on the rear differential and leaf springs.
Funny you say that. I just talked to HummerMike today about ordering the rear diff and leaf spring plates. I wasn't sure if they were necessary. You just answered my question.

Quick Reply: Yesterday's offroad carnage