PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

XM Radio to Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Default RE: XM Radio to Sirius Radio

I must Thank JTP. It works great. We had to use the supplied Sirius antenea. I purchased the wrong antenea ....just like DVADER thought i might have. We will fix that tommorrow. Sound quality is great and having everything in my factory head unit instead of an exterior box is G R E A T!!!! I will let you guys know what the proper part number for the antenea adapter is as soon as I know.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4395/A915EADE35B84466BCE599A2CD357F44.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-22-2008, 04:45 AM

Jglow,
I'm glad it worked for you because now there's hope for me. It's now 05:30 and I'm heading back out to the garage to try this installation again. Thanks to jtpmedic's instructions I should have no problems this time. My main goal is to get that ugly Sirius Radio off the top of my dashboad and all the wires that go with it. I'll let you know how it goes. If you never hear from me again then you know that I died trying! []

Old 03-22-2008, 06:52 AM

Well Guys it looks like you're almost home. Excellent pioneer work. I can't wait to hear the end of the story.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 AM

Thanks to jtpmedic's instructions I've got my Sirius tuner installed and working. I used the antenna from mydash mountedSirius radio and the reception is great. Of course I had to call Sirius customer service and get the new radio turned on and my old radio turned off.Thanks to Jglow713 andjtpmedic for all their help.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: alphadogg

Thanks to jtpmedic's instructions I've got my Sirius tuner installed and working. I used the antenna from mydash mountedSirius radio and the reception is great. Of course I had to call Sirius customer service and get the new radio turned on and my old radio turned off.Thanks to Jglow713 andjtpmedic for all their help.
So your old sirius antenna is inside your car? Where and how did you mount it?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Glad it helped...
JP

Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 PM

The antenna is mounted on my dashboard in the far left corner right up close to the windshield. I tucked the wire down in between the dash and the windshield until it came around to the side of the dashboard where I could push it through to the underside of the dash and ran it over behind the radio. The Sirius tuner is mounted on top of the radio with two sided tape. You hardlynotice the antenna, don't see any wires and everything works great. I'm totally satisfied.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:42 AM

I'm totally satisfied.
That was just one week ago and since then I’m not so satisfied. [:@] I keep losing the signal all the time which means the music keeps cutting in and out. The message on the radio says “searching for signal”. The problemhas to be the Sirius radio antenna butI don’t know if it’s because I have it mounted on the dashboard instead of onthe roof or if this antenna is incompatible with this tuner. My GPS is mounted on my dashboard and it never “searches for a signal”.

I’m beginning to think these tuners are not completely compatible with the 08’s because of the problem I just mentioned and another problem I’m experiencing. Sometimes when I turn off the radio and exit the truck and come back later and turn the radio on I find that the radio is no longer on Sirius radio where I had left it but on a FM channel. So I must use the band button to re-tune the radio to the Sirius channel. Very strange.

Is anyone else who made this install having any problems like this?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 AM

When I did Jglow's, it was the same, as far as losing signal. Our windshields are too vertical. My GPS takes forever to get it's primary track, but then works fine.

He's waiting for the right antenna adapter, but temporarily (and just to see if that was the problem) we mounted the antenna on the roof, seems to work fine...

JP

Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 AM

I have an 08 H3 and installed the sirius SIR-GM1 (Thanks for all the great info!) Hardest part I had was that I could not fit my hand in the dash to unplug the XM unit (had to get some help). I ended up just leaving the XM unit. For the antenna I took a chance an removed the orange connector for the xm antenna and was able to plug into the sirius unit. The connection wasn't perfect but has been working and I don't notice any signal quality issues.

I did notice yesterday AlphaDogg's issue where sometimes I turn on the stereo and it is back to FM1, a little annoying, but still happy with the install

Quick Reply: XM Radio to Sirius Radio