PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Xenon HID installation help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Default Xenon HID installation help...

I am in the process today of installing my Xenon HID kit. I wired the kit based on my posting earlier in the week as follows:

I found importkiller'spost from January that indicates the following:

Orange = low beam
Blue = ground
Violet/pink = high beam

This is a kit that hasxenon low beams and halogen high beams. As it stands right now the xenon low beams work. The halogen high beams come on very dim, but they flicker. When I switch from high beam back to low beam, I have to turn the headlights off and then back on again to restart the xenon low beams. The attached photo shows how the kit is set up.

My question is - how do I get the high beams to light up at full brightness? I've checked my connections and they seem tight. Is it possible that I've wired it wrong?

The DRL voltage is too low to power the xenons, so I'm pulling the fuse for that to disable them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2102/6E70CA8A4D954A63A8D4FB32986886AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Default Further update...

I've got the hard part finished now - I found a good location for the ballasts and mounted them. After attaching the wiring as mentioned in my previous post, I now have HID low beams. They seem quite nice - they are 6000kin color temperature and the light seems to be very pure white. The high beams, however,are another story. When I switch to high beam, the lights flicker - both the xenons and the halogens and then they stop working completely.

I almost think this is an improper ground issue. I've tested all three wires with a voltage meter to determine if the wiring was correct, and I am not able to confirm it - I get strange readings. Assuming blue is the ground wire, when I activate the high beams I don't get full voltage to the pink wire (explaining the flickering). I do get full voltage to the orange wire when the low beams are on, which is why my xenons work well. If I switch the wires, the halogens light up at expected brightness, so I think the bulbs are OK.

I have pulled fuse number 39, and deactivated my DRLs. If I "flash to pass", I get the same flickering of both lights as mentioned above. It's quite strange.

Any ideas from those of you who have installed these lights before? Is it possible that blue is low beam, pink is high beam and orange is ground? Anybody have a wiring diagram?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Default RE: Further update...

one thng you have to remember is that the headlight circuit is not a simple power to fuse circuit. The headlights are controlled by the BCM, the BMCis what sends out the needed voltage. I have the HID kit with low beams only, and when I hooked the power wire up to highbeams they just flicker, almost like a flourescant tube light when the ballast is going bad.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 AM

Thanks importkiller.I contacted the manufacturer, and they suggested that I ground the high beams seperately from the headlight wiring harness. I'll try that this week and see if it works.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:03 PM

What brand Kit do you have. Also do you have any picts of the lights at night. I am probably gonna get the JDM kit on Ebay for $200 shipped. JDM is a quality brand that has been around. Not to sure about other brands on Ebay. Which do you suggest? Thanks.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:55 PM

I bought the bi-xenon kit also and had the exact same trouble. I then removed them and sent them back to the manufacturer. They told me they tested the lights and they were not defective. I did get my money back minus the shipping. I had them installed exactly the way they said. There must be a trick to it. I also had purchased the JDM but decided that I did not want to dowithout the high beam. I could not return them so I sold themon Ebay. The buyer now says he can't get them to work either.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:06 PM

I purchased my kit on ebay from Autopialighting. It is the 6000K bi-xenon kit. It was advertised as "plug and play", but it has been far from that. According to the manufacturer, the polarity of the H3 requires them to provide spades that slide into the factory light harness rather than a real plug. The spades that they provided were too wide to fit, so I had to shave them down with a Dremel tool to fit. Once they fit, I had the problems listed above. The company is very friendly and they are trying to help, but it is quite obvious that they didn't know much about the installation in an H3. I am anxious to try the additional ground wire as they suggested, but I won't have time until this weekend.

If I am unable to use high-beams, I don't know if I will keep the kit. Even though it isn't "plug and play", it is fully reversable and it didn't require modification to mount the bulb - it fit right into the existing socket.

The xenon low beams look great! I'll try to post a pic later in the week, and I'll post the result of the new ground wire.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: altrestle

I bought the bi-xenon kit also and had the exact same trouble. I then removed them and sent them back to the manufacturer. They told me they tested the lights and they were not defective. I did get my money back minus the shipping. I had them installed exactly the way they said. There must be a trick to it. I also had purchased the JDM but decided that I did not want to dowithout the high beam. I could not return them so I sold themon Ebay. The buyer now says he can't get them to work either.
So you lose the Highbeams with the JDM kit?

Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Yes you do. It is low beam only and when you replace the bulb with the xenon the high beam is no longer there. When I installed the bi-xenon the lights were great but I got bright lighted constantly and was afraid that the cops were going to give me a ticket.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:26 PM

For those of you how installed the HID kits did you have to replace the headlight fuses to handle the intial surge of power to ignite the xenon bulb? Also where did you all mount the ballast and how? A picture would be helpful too if you have one.

Quick Reply: Xenon HID installation help...