PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

WOW...what a MPG improvement!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Default RE: WOW...what a MPG improvement!!!!

ORIGINAL: importkiller

So last night while on my truck search we made a drive through NJ into PA and then back to soutehr NJ then home. Total of 370 miles or so. I filled up on teh turnpike, set my trip odometer to zero and set my cruise at 65 mph....set it much lower than normal just to see how much better my mileage would be. I was going to be on the pike for over 200 miles so I figured it would be a good true highway test at mileage......here is how many miles I went. Filled up again and got 21.7 gallons.... you do the math[:@]

That is the worst gas mileage I've ever heard of from an H3

Old 11-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Default RE: WOW...what a MPG improvement!!!!

Interesting discussions. I clicked this topic since I noticed that my wife has been getting about 14mpg with hers lately here in NY and I thought that seemed low. I just looked up what the manufacturer's EPA estimates were and they are now only 14/18. When we got our 2008 they were estimate at the old rules at 16-20mpg. When we first got it and took it for some highway driving (mostly me driving) we got about 20-22mpg in warm weather with no ac. I think my wife uses the remote starter more than she should need to on cold mornings and that has brought it down some. I think the driver has a lot to do with the mileage as well as the route.

I wonder if the guy with the low mileage has compared it from his to his wife's drives or just averaged it over both.

I'm a bit crazy with mpg ever since the prices went up. I've started using some of the techniques of mega-miles people to eak out another 4 mpg out of my everyday ride. Alot can be said for high tire pressure, timing lights to use little brakes, shutting off at long lights, etc. I'm getting between 25-28mpg in city only driving where I used to get 22-24. don't compare these #s to a hummer - thats with a crv 4 cylinder put put but the same techniques can help anyone in any ride. i would suspect that the type of tire can make a big difference too and if the special large tires are very grippy, they will also be worse on mpg. when my tires started getting bald, my mpg went up :-) I also gained 2mpg moving tire pressures from 32 (suggested) to 39-40. max rating is 44 so I leave a little gap for gaining heat as you drive in summer. my winter tires are on now so much more grip and mpg will surely go down some. i'll check it out. this reminds me to check the tire pressures on the hummer now. she has the onstar automatic emails but i don't think they say actual pressures but just say they are ok, right?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM

My 2006 H3 has always averaged 15+MPG between town and highway. Bought the truck with 41K have 68K. Lots of stop and go, 60 mi commute both ways.

On long distance hwy trips best I can do is 17.5 MPG with new alignment/balance and 'hard' tires @ 70MPH.

I don't like driving this truck past 75 for obvious reasons.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:37 PM

So this PCM is a chip swap? Does it really improve overall gas mileage? Does it void the warranty? Would love to know if anyone with an Alpha is using this as well.

thanks

Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 PM

I've gotten 22 MPG hwy driving 70 mph with my Alpha on the stock PCM.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM

I get 15-18mpg mixed, up steep hills, no more than 55mph, running 285/75/16. Cant wait to get the PCMforless, they just had a Easter Special for $149.99!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Default Wtf

I have a 2009 with the i5. 51k miles. Stock size tires.

Did my mpg last week. 13.4 mpg. It was pretty much all highway driving cruise control set around 64.

Changed my air filter about a month ago... (was getting around 11 before I changed it)

Something must be wrong.

Will the pcm tune void the warranty?

Please help. Gotta do something with gas predicted to be $6.00 by the end of the summer.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Default help

Did my mpg last week. 13.4 mpg. It was pretty much all highway driving cruise control set around 64.

Changed my air filter about a month ago... (was getting around 11 before I changed it)

Something must be wrong.

Please help. Gotta do something with gas predicted to be $6.00 by the end of the summer.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jemche

Something must be wrong.

Well if you're past 50k your bumper to bumper warranty is toast anyways!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 PM

It would void what remains on your powertrain warranty.

Quick Reply: WOW...what a MPG improvement!!!!