PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

WOW...what a MPG improvement!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Default RE: WOW...what a MPG improvement!!!!

my compression is fine, checked that already.truck runs great and is actually faster than my buddies identical 06 h3. I pull him from the line and in 1/4 mile strip I beat him by at least 5 lenghts every time. I know the problem is in my PCM tune, somehow someway a tech at the dealership had to be playing with it....but they keep telling me that it because I'm running 35's, even though I was getting 11 mpg with the stock base 265's. Last dealership told me they can't reflash the pcm to stock....technology isn't available yet for the h3....I didn't tell him I was a gm tech...just laughed in his face. I'm going to send it out to pcmforless.com and have tehm look at it and correct. Pretty sad that a I5 is getting worse mileage than a worked 350 SB would get.

I am thinking that something in the cooling system culd be bad, causing the truck to run constant coolant so the motor runs like it is always cold...which burns more fuel. Kinda like having the choke open all the time on a carb motor.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 PM

Dang it Mike, We can't both have Vida pics. I'm going to have to change mine back now.[&:]

Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

IK: I'll bend over now so you can kick my *** Sorry dude, I was confuse-id

Dog: You have Vida Rights, so I am going to change mine.... I got something way better

Old 02-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jbnjc123

Since ours was new in Nov.we have never gotten better than 13 mpg. I don't know what you are doing to get 20+. I wonder why there is such a difference? I have been very unhappy with this since I have gotten the H3. If I would have known this I would have gotten the H2. I wonder if elevation would have anything to do with it, but it is fuel injected so really that should have no effect.
Hey JB. I got my PCM reprogrammed from PCMforLess, I have a 5-speed stick, and 90% of my driving is highway driving. In IDEAL conditions, 60+ degree weather, no AC, I can pull off 21 to 23 at the most, assuming there is no wind either lol. On these 0 degree days, I'm lucky to get 17 or 18, still good, but it all depends on the weather pretty much.

I'm actualy thinking about removing my big clunker light bar. That will definitely increase my mileage.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:04 PM

Good for you. It's about damn time that you started getting better milage than an H2.[8D]

Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

my compression is fine, checked that already.truck runs great and is actually faster than my buddies identical 06 h3. I pull him from the line and in 1/4 mile strip I beat him by at least 5 lenghts every time. I know the problem is in my PCM tune, somehow someway a tech at the dealership had to be playing with it....but they keep telling me that it because I'm running 35's, even though I was getting 11 mpg with the stock base 265's. Last dealership told me they can't reflash the pcm to stock....technology isn't available yet for the h3....I didn't tell him I was a gm tech...just laughed in his face. I'm going to send it out to pcmforless.com and have tehm look at it and correct. Pretty sad that a I5 is getting worse mileage than a worked 350 SB would get.

I am thinking that something in the cooling system culd be bad, causing the truck to run constant coolant so the motor runs like it is always cold...which burns more fuel. Kinda like having the choke open all the time on a carb motor.
Umm, I thought your wife drives the H3? I think that's the problem![8D]

Old 02-10-2007, 03:07 AM

my wifes drives it to work in the am...I drive it in the pm. Until I get my truck in 15 hours we are a 1 car household....not including my JGC but thats in the rebuild faze still.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:03 AM
JM

Buddy, this MPG problem is really bad.[:@]

Why don't you try to put some sugar in your gas tank and find out if your engine is less thirsty whith a 'sweet' gas hmmm?

Another idea could be that you become 'buddy-buddy' with some koweiti oil producer (after all, you guys saved their butts back in '91) and ask him to send you half a VLCC at a discount price.

Sorry, Import I could not resist[&:][8D]

Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 AM

IK have you thought about putting stock sized tires on it, driving it for a couple of tanks, and taking it back to the dealership to show them it gets poor fuel economy on it's own? I'm sure a local tire shop would have some used tires you could get for cheap just for the experiment.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM

I just filled up on Sunday, and I had driven half city half highway. Now, to credit the Hummer a bit, it's been nasty cold out here (-20'C to -40'C ish), so I think that may have contributed a bit.

This last tank, I put in 76.74 litres (20.30 US Gal, or 16.903 UK Gal). I travelled 404 KM (251 Miles).

That makes my mileage 12.36 US MPG, or 14.85 UK MPG.

All stock on my H3.

Quick Reply: WOW...what a MPG improvement!!!!