PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Worried about my leveling kit install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Default Worried about my leveling kit install

Im a complete new guy on this forum, but I've had my Hummer H3 for about 2 years. Ive racked up about 20k miles since I bought it. This past summer I had the opportunity to install 35 inch into trail grapplers along with the 2.5 Rough Country Leveling Kit.

My question is this: Ive heard that a level hummer is not realistic due to taller rear shackles(came with leveling kit). Well, my hummer is looking pretty damn level. So have I cranked the keys too much? Nothing has broken and I have yet to take it off roading or mudding since this summer. I love the look but I dont want to damage my cv joints.

Also this upcoming summer I plan on adding taller shocks(fox racing) and extended bump stops.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM
rsc

Measure the distance from fender lip to the center of the wheel at the back and front. The "H" in HUMMER makes a perfect reference point. Then compare numbers to see how close to or far fromm level you are.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Alright thanks a lot. I will do that today. As for the last part of my question. Will the larger shocks(billstein or fox racing) and extended bump stops help with ride and saving the cv joints and other parts of the suspension?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 PM

Extended shocks like the Bilstein along with the 1/2" extended bump stops improve your ride by preventing "nose dive" on hard breaking, although some people don't like the stiffer ride. It's a personal choice.

They will not have ANY effect on the CV's or any other parts of the suspension.

The biggest effect on the CV's will be the angles that are created after leveling. The less angle the better as far as wear to the joints and boots. That's why the 23-1/2" max. measurement is important. It's the sweet spot.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
Extended shocks like the Bilstein along with the 1/2" extended bump stops improve your ride by preventing "nose dive" on hard breaking, although some people don't like the stiffer ride. It's a personal choice.

They will not have ANY effect on the CV's or any other parts of the suspension.

The biggest effect on the CV's will be the angles that are created after leveling. The less angle the better as far as wear to the joints and boots. That's why the 23-1/2" max. measurement is important. It's the sweet spot.
Alright thanks for the help. I'm running a bit high, probably because I used an impact power wrench at my friends shop and tightened them too much. Eventually gonna bite the bullet and get a rancho so it's done right