PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Wiring Help needed (Backup Cam)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Default Wiring Help needed (Backup Cam)

Hey guys I need a ACC wire to tap into. I am trying to wire my rear cam to my Pioneer 900BT radio.

I have two problems.

1. I want the cam to allways be powered on so I can use it while driving. There does not seem to be a ACC wire anywhere in the rear of truck. The only one I found is in the drivers dash. Is there any other one around the rear? I do not have a hitch.

2. How can I get a wire from the rear bumper area to the interior of the truck behind the radio? There does not seem to be any rubber spots in the firewall anywhere! (Video Wire)
Have any of you guys ran a wire from there to the back?

Your help is really appreciated!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 AM

I just drilled through rite here, driver side. If you use black silicone you cant even tell. The hole is next to the smaller cord in the picture. You can barely see where my small black wire went through. It come out rite behind the parking brake. Also the second pic is the ACC I found in the box if you dont want to drill.
Name:  07022009639.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  98.9 KB
Name:  07022009641.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  152.2 KB

Last edited by theBroken; 03-11-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:47 AM

There is a wire cluster under the dash on the key side of the steering column “drivers side” that holds a constant power, ACC Wire, ground, and brake wire. This is used for an optional power electric break for towing packages and will provide the 12 volts you require. The wires are folded on themselves,taped, and labeled. Use a meter to ensure proper selection and always remember to uses a FUSE so you do not cause serious issues with your truck. Place the fuse as close to your power source as possible.

If you want your backup camera to have power all the time, remember to diode isolate the reverse wire or your back up lights will stay on because of back feed. This is only necessary if you actually want the camera to change the picture on your dash when you place the truck in reverse. A diode isolated switch may work better, so you can use the back up camera as the factory intended, or you can switch it on all the time.

As for the wire drilling a hole is not necessary. Remove the rear break light from whichever side you plan on running wires. You will notice there is a rubber grommet for the brake light wiring, simply feed your wires through a puncture hole on one side of that grommet. You can also grab your reverse power signal from the same area.