PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Wiring Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Default Wiring Help!!!!!

Alright ya'll, I've asked enough times and everyone, shorty in particular, who helped me out initially .. thanks :-) With that said, I have a set of PIAA 520's I've installed on my brushguard, all the electrical is ran with the exception of ONE cable. The switch for the lights is iluminated but obviously needs power. I have it mounted by/on my roof console where the sunroof controls are. I need a switched source to get power to light this badboy up, does anyone know what wire I need to tap in to? Before anyone suggests a multi-meter .. I don't have one anymore, casualty of my last move unfortunately. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wiring Help!!!!!

you dissappoint me lol.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Hey, at least the flippin' lights work, that was my main concern ... LOL! Now go get me a switched wire there Sally ... I don't want to do any trial and error on this one or I'm going to have to go get me some fuses first. I told you what happened with the hideaway sirius tuner I had in my avalanche ... carpets and crap caught fire because I assumed **** lol ... ya would think .. hooking up 3 monitors, 3 amps, hideaway NAV unit, lights out the flippin ying yang, all of which had solidBLACK as grounds ... sirius tuner had a black and a black/yellow wire ... so obviously I thought, hey, that's cool, no issues here .. so I proceeded to wire it up, plugged it in to the hideaway box for my HU .. which is where I did things right, just laid the cable out across the carpet in the back to test first .. I proceeded to put the key in the ignition, turned the truck on .. flipped the screen up on the HU and applied power ...This is where things took a turn for the worse ... A loud pop came from the general floor area of the backseat ... of course since half my tool box was spread across the car I figured it was a wrench hitting something ... I lived in this dilusion for another 10-15 seconds before a foul, warm, rubbery, sour scent started spreading through the cabin ... it was clear at this point I done fukked something up ... Of course the supposedly fire retardant carpets in the back were not so fire resistant after all ... the audio cable from the sirius tuner had popped open like a well popped kernel of corn, sparks shootin' out of itas for some reason the 1@#$!@#$ fuse never went, why I don't know. The sparks had proceeded to light the rear drivers side carpet on fire and it was now smoldering and giving off thick, black, sour rubbery smoke ... Instinct kicked in long before intelligence had a chance to argue it's case so of course I proceeded to grab the Q@#$@# cabling going to the HU in an attempt to save it from getting fried (2,200 dollar HU, didn't want to bust it) .. this of course resulted in me taking the electric shock instead .. granted, it ain't much but it jolted me none the less .. more surprise than anything else I guess. The nowcharred carpet which can only be resembled as a very well done piece of blackened tilapia still had some flames eating in to it .. I tried patting em out with my bare hands, again, intelligence had not been consulted on this decision which of course only compounded the issue .. I got the flames out with 2-3 pats but the melted rubber of course found my rather cool hands (pizz poor circulation lol) a far more attractive lodging arrangement and proceeded to stick to said hands. Needless to say it was not exactly cold, nor was it pleasantly warm .. it was hotter than a Sunny July day in hell and of course proceeded to put a number of blisters in my poor palms ...

So with this rather lengthy story of my wiring skills, or lack there of ... gimme a flippin wire there C3PO, I'm not setting fire to another car ... LOL .. I haven't lived the first incident down yet ...

Old 07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

I'd fuse it from the battery. I wouldn't tap into anything that is already in use.

I am assuming that you want a switched source so that if you turn the key off you will turn the lights off....

Let me poke around whenever my truck sees fit to come home tonight...

Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 PM

It's just the switch Muddy, the lights are hardwired directly in to the battery with a fuse mid-way of course .... I just need a switched power source to light up the LED in the actual on/off switch itself ... Anywhere in theroofconsole housing the sunroof controls will work fine or I can pull it down the drivers side a-pillar and pull itunder the dash if need be but I suspect the switched sources for the sunroof should do me just fine .. I just don't know whick wire it is :-)
I doubt the draw from that toggle switch is anything to worry about but I don't want to find out that 2 weeks is too long to leave my truck at the airport so to speak LOL!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Oh... well... since I don't have a sunroof.... I can't help you with that....

but... if you post some pictures I can help you guess....

Old 07-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Damnit Muddy, I thought you had a clone of my tubby b*tch and now I found out you don't have a sunroof!?!?1 And I even nominated you for ROTM .. tsk tsk tsk .. lmao .. all joking aside here .. no worries bro .. I ain't gunna ask ya to dig through your roof console wiring for me, it was more of a "if anyone knows" kind of deal .. I can live without the switch being lit up if need be but would like to at least TRY to get the last bit of said install done ..

I guess I can always wet my finger tips and start touching wires until I find the one that will only zap me with the ignition on or on the delay after key is pulled .. ZZZZZZzzzzzzZzZaaaaaaaaaap! LOL!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

OK Pansy, go to Radio Shack and buy a freakin' Voltage Meter. They are like $10 to $20. DOH!

I have my radar detector feeding off the mirror power for On-Star/Temp guage. If you wait until later tonight, I can tell you what color wires are the positive and negative, and you can just tap into the wiring harness clip that goes into your rear-view mirror. See, I have two Volt Meters, so I was able to figure out which ones worked

Old 07-12-2007, 02:43 PM

I'm gunna make you trace those wires for me on the 4th now that you made the mistake of tellilng me you have two of em ... hehehehe ... you can have my broken one too if you want ... gawd only knows what happened to it but whatever it was .. it was definitely heavy LOL!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I paid more for my Fluke than I did for a H2 payment.....

Quick Reply: Wiring Help!!!!!