PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
View Poll Results: Lights above hood... Your vote?
Looks good!
58.33%
Don't Do It!
41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Windshield Lights on H3

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by sundownaudiony
its a "jeep thing"! Don't do it!
x1000!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM

Was it hard to mount them here. Also, Can the hood go up all the way? On the windshield I wouldn't have to worry. It would clear. This is in response to Hunners Truck.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 PM

They are not mounted like those rusty chrome lights on Heeps and are wireless controlled. I would not let that stop me from having a functional light. I use these a lot. Yes with careful placement the hood opens without touching them and it just clears the snorkle.
Here is the rundown I wrote awhile back.

I have the older style wireless remote. There is a newer design but often they have a sale on the older style lights. I own three of these, soon to be four. I have one on two different boats as well as the Hummer. They have been real wet, two with salt water, banged around covered in mud and keep on ticking! I have not yet replaced any bulbs. They are brighter than the headlights and brighter than the OEM roof lights. They are rectangle but put out a round beam? However they are great. Mounted on the cowl they do have a slight tilt to the outside. A wedgy made out of Starboard, a polymer material I use alot to fabricate boat instrument consoles would work if you don't like that. It comes in black and the color is all the way thru. Can be worked with woodworking tools. I found that the tilt allows the light when turned out will shine down close to the vehicle to see obstacles. The remote has different speeds, and rotation and up and down. They can be programmed together or separate.
I thru bolted mine with SS hardware and nyloc bolts on the Hummer. I also made disconnects under the hood with a fuse inline. That way you can remove them if need be. Placement of the holes for the bolts is a little tricky to miss the reinforcement partitions on the underside of the cowl. I have not had any problems with them bouncing loose. As with the roof lights, especially on a white hood there is some backscatter or glare. I stick on my magnetic glare pads if Im going to do alot of offroad driving at night. I do that alot on Forest Service roads here in Arkansas. Gotta watch for deer in the road!
I will try to answer any questions for anybody trying this.
Golight® :: Remote Controlled Searchlights
Golight Radioray Spotlights - Golight Radioray Flood Lights - www.MagnaLight.com Spotlights and Flashlights
This is the model I have
Golight Radioray GL-2051 Wireless Remote Control Spotlight - permanent mount - www.MagnaLight.com Spotlights and Flashlights
They are available here. I payed $140 back when I got mine.
The fourth bolt in the upper left is inside that baffle. You can see the enlarged hole where I could get in a 1/4 drive socket.
I have removed one light in this picture to put on my Whaler. I have not cleaned up the outline of dirt it left. I did find some plugs for the holes. I have now replaced that one. Anyway that shows if you want to remove them it looks ok. I have not had a problem where I go but some jerk might try to take one.
Someone ask about the view or if they blocked your vision. Not much, you get used to it. However if you park them aiming backwards, DO NOT turn them on. You won't like it. If you forget and leave the covers on, they will melt! Yes, you can cook a bratwurst on them.
I used a water resistant fuse holder. The one with the two orange wires. Behind that is the disconnect for positive and negative.
Hope all that helps.

Name:  6x4462.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  37.5 KB

Last edited by Hunner; 08-31-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Yup! That should about cover what I was looking to relay to him... Thanks Hunner!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Banned
Default but some jerk might try to take one

or,some darned tree branch,huh?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 PM

Results...

Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 PM

Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM

I think it looks good Dee. How did you decide to mount them? got a closer pic of the mounting spot?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 PM

I posted a picture of the bracket on the thread... Seem strong enough and the light would swivel back if caught up on a tree so I don't see them pulling off the windshield channel.

Last edited by deebocubs; 10-20-2011 at 08:11 PM.