PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Winching Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Default RE: Winching Techniques

not sure if pigskin is really tougher than human skin or not, since i haven't found a leather store that offers tanned "human skins" yet. i assume it would probably have the characteristics of typical cow leather for carving. would be cool to get leather with built in tattoos though . . . . [:-]

i saw the one where they tried to rip the rear axle off a police cruiser and busted some cables, but missed the pig abuse. i'll have to keep my eyes open for that one.

gotta agree though that a tree strap is a good idea. they're only 6' long, don't take up much storage space, and can be used as vehicle-to-vehicle anchor connectors as well.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Default Don't forget liability

Winching your nieghbor out of a ditch is good, but its a whole different thing from winching a fellow offroader's rigout of a hole. Even the nicest nieghbors have things called insurance andlawyers. You can do thousands of $$ in damage in heartbeat on todays lightweight cars. Your winch...your liability.

An offroading lawyer once told me to alwayshave the other vehicle's owner connect the cable to their vehicle, and it's wise paranoia to have them sign a release of liability.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Default RE: Don't forget liability

ORIGINAL: SedonaBoundH3

Winching your nieghbor out of a ditch is good, but its a whole different thing from winching a fellow offroader's rigout of a hole. Even the nicest nieghbors have things called insurance andlawyers. You can do thousands of $$ in damage in heartbeat on todays lightweight cars. Your winch...your liability.

An offroading lawyer once told me to alwayshave the other vehicle's owner connect the cable to their vehicle, and it's wise paranoia to have them sign a release of liability.
Good point. so far I've only gone after small pickup trucks because I know they will have at the very least a hitch bumper and we dont have to mess around with making sure its hooked to something that appears to be structural.

I also will not personally attach the cable. Although it was tempting to to stop at the hottie in the benz, she was in backwards and I know she had roadside assistance. Even though I got out 2 before her tow truck arrived, I thought about stoppingbut I would have only offered to keep her warm.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 PM

Another thing I found is that police give you a major hassle when trying to be kind and offering help to a fellow motorist. I had a police officer tell me to unhook and leave before i got a ticket because I lacked "proper lighting" and "personal visibility"to be on the side of the highway. Even though i had 2 amber strobes, two 85w floods, hazzards and a bright orange jacket with reflective gloves...and it was day time.
Sad really, cant do a good deed these days without getting sued or ticketed.
Although that means I need to power up my lighting scheme
Federal Signal...here I come!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:00 AM

the cop told you that because you havent been DOT inspected
they come out once a year and inspect our wreckers and place a sticker on the
windshield w/ the date

Old 02-07-2007, 01:41 PM

I bet the attitude would've been different if it was their cruiser you pulled out .. Though I have to admit, being a freeway I can sort of understand it ... the same attitude on your average road .. KMA!