PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Will GM Survive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Will GM Survive?

Your basis in facts is sketchy at best. I own land with oil and gas leases on it and negotiate with exploration companies on leases. I have many friends in the industry. I get my information from them. They have worked their entire lives in the business. I could care less what the government tells me the numbers are because each side lies through their teeth and distorts and twist things to support their erroneous cases.
Reagan pushed the policy that eventually forced the Russians to back down. It was a decades long agenda but Reagan had the ***** to tell the Russians how it was going to be and to raise the ante. If not for Reagan the succession of wimpy Presidents since probably still would not have gotten it done.
BO is going to increase taxes to pay for SS, health care and a whole host of Lib issues. I pay health insurance for over 500 employees. I match their 401K contributions, I pay huge taxes and I take great risk. If I am not rewarded for taking that risk a lot of deals don't get done and many of those currently well paid, employed people are out of job. That isn't voodoo economics it is how the system works.
You are so off base on the reserves available to this country that it is not even worth arguing with you about. Double the supply of anything and prices go down. provide a more secure source for a strategic item and price goes down. Everytime some militant with an RPG raises his voice in Nigeria the price of oil goes up.
People are having a hard time paying todays gas prices. Not drilling while we explore alternatives is a " do nothing" strategy. The final alternative solution could be 20-30 years away and in the meantime the price of gas will continue to escalate. We have to do what it takes to provide energy to America today and in the future and that includes taking advantage of our resources today. I bet most of the people that you would let gas prices escalate on would not like your solution.
Your economics professor obviously has a political bent to his teachings. that is not Reaganomics. I will agree that the exodus of jobs from this country is a huge problem that is just coming home to roost.
9-11 and the subsequent War on Terror had many consequences that I don't think anyone could anticipate. How could you know where it would lead. Obviously mistakes have been made but to sit back and do nothing would have been the biggest mistake of all.
You are right, we don't have to agree. That is a big part of what this country is all about.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: 3hummers

Your basis in facts is sketchy at best. I own land with oil and gas leases on it and negotiate with exploration companies on leases. I have many friends in the industry. I get my information from them. They have worked their entire lives in the business. I could care less what the government tells me the numbers are because each side lies through their teeth and distorts and twist things to support their erroneous cases.
Reagan pushed the policy that eventually forced the Russians to back down. It was a decades long agenda but Reagan had the ***** to tell the Russians how it was going to be and to raise the ante. If not for Reagan the succession of wimpy Presidents since probably still would not have gotten it done.
BO is going to increase taxes to pay for SS, health care and a whole host of Lib issues. I pay health insurance for over 500 employees. I match their 401K contributions, I pay huge taxes and I take great risk. If I am not rewarded for taking that risk a lot of deals don't get done and many of those currently well paid, employed people are out of job. That isn't voodoo economics it is how the system works.
You are so off base on the reserves available to this country that it is not even worth arguing with you about. Double the supply of anything and prices go down. provide a more secure source for a strategic item and price goes down. Everytime some militant with an RPG raises his voice in Nigeria the price of oil goes up.
People are having a hard time paying todays gas prices. Not drilling while we explore alternatives is a " do nothing" strategy. The final alternative solution could be 20-30 years away and in the meantime the price of gas will continue to escalate. We have to do what it takes to provide energy to America today and in the future and that includes taking advantage of our resources today. I bet most of the people that you would let gas prices escalate on would not like your solution.
Your economics professor obviously has a political bent to his teachings. that is not Reaganomics. I will agree that the exodus of jobs from this country is a huge problem that is just coming home to roost.
9-11 and the subsequent War on Terror had many consequences that I don't think anyone could anticipate. How could you know where it would lead. Obviously mistakes have been made but to sit back and do nothing would have been the biggest mistake of all.
You are right, we don't have to agree. That is a big part of what this country is all about.
Most experts have expressed this same forecast based upon industry facts and history. That tax incentive to provide healthcare for employees will be gone if John McCain becomes President. Reagan was a speaker, but he did not push any policy as he had no power to do so. He was President when a solid Democratic stronghold controlled the House. 'BO' will only increase taxes on those making 250K+ and NO ONE ELSE. He and other Democrats have made that clear. Also, yelling 'liberal, liberal, liberal' doesn't work anymore since the new members of the house and senate elected in 2006 to give the Democrats the majority were Moderates and Conservatives (from the south). 'BO' is like every other Presidential Candidate in that he has a vision. Much of his vision will never come to pass, but when we choose a President we choose to follow a vision and allow that President the chance to make as much of it a reality as possible. Gas prices are going to escalate no matter what we do and if, in years, we produce some marginal amount of oil from our reserves and oil prices drop by a dollar a barrel (as new exploration costs and drilling costs will have to be recovered) we will still not solve the financial aspect that affects the consumer at the pump. That professor is a VERY CONSERVATIVE on who believes in less government and lower taxes, but does not believe that Presidents should lower taxes on the wealthy and increase spending expecting revenue to grow from the investments of the wealthy. It just doesn't work in practice, only in theory.

This is fun, though, and I'm glad we can have a political discussion based upon our ideas and not based upon our sentiments!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Philosophically I have a problem with free passes for anyone. I don't believe anyone in this country should live here without paying some minimum level of taxes for the privilige of living here and enjoying the benefits that come from being a US citizen. A huge percentage of this country pay no effective income tax. They have no stake in the policy decisions being made in Washington because it doesn't cost them anything. It is real easy to go along when someone else pays and you are unaffected. It is not my responsibilty to make sure anyone else has health insurance, retirement, food on the table or a roof over their head. BO will raise taxes on people over 250K, eliminate the inheritance tax breaks, raise the capital gains tax, raise the ceiling on income SS taxes are paid on and pass windfall profits on oil companies. Ask your economics professor what happened the last time the capital gains tax was cut, windfall profit taxes were levied on oil companies, etc. It wasn't pretty and had the exact opposite impact than was planned.
If profits from my investments face a higher capital gains rate that reduces the potential gain while my risk profile stays the same. I am not investing in deals that don't offer a suitable return. If BO raises the capital gains rate as he has discussed I can see employment at my company dropping from 500 to around 300. Isn't that a great result or as Al Gore says..." an inconvienent truth".
You are right I believe in that gas prices will continue to escalate, especially if we don't increase supply. Your anticipated impact for drilling mirrors what is printed in USA Today and does not reflect the reality projected by industry experts.
Regardless we both get to contributeto the candidates of our choice and vote on November 4th.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 AM

Philosophically I have a problem with free passes for anyone.

Again, so do I. I am a longtime supporter of the 'fair tax' plan. (eliminate the IRS that is a waste of billions, eliminate the Fed. Income Tax, Replace with national sales tax that is not on daily goods such as groceries ect.)

I don't believe anyone in this country should live here without paying some minimum level of taxes for the privilige of living here and enjoying the benefits that come from being a US citizen. A huge percentage of this country pay no effective income tax. They have no stake in the policy decisions being made in Washington because it doesn't cost them anything. It is real easy to go along when someone else pays and you are unaffected.

This is true and I don't disagree!

It is not my responsibilty to make sure anyone else has health insurance, retirement, food on the table or a roof over their head. BO will raise taxes on people over 250K, eliminate the inheritance tax breaks, raise the capital gains tax, raise the ceiling on income SS taxes are paid on and pass windfall profits on oil companies. Ask your economics professor what happened the last time the capital gains tax was cut, windfall profit taxes were levied on oil companies, etc. It wasn't pretty and had the exact opposite impact than was planned.

We're currently in a situation where our debt is too high to be paid back by current and future revenue forecasts. This is something that almost all economic experts have agreed upon.

You are right I believe in that gas prices will continue to escalate, especially if we don't increase supply. Your anticipated impact for drilling mirrors what is printed in USA Today and does not reflect the reality projected by industry experts.

Most of those articles and newsmakers get their information from the AP who gets their information from the best industry experts.

Regardless we both get to contribute to the candidates of our choice and vote on November 4th.

Yes, this is true and I'm glad we've had this discussion but I think you automatically label anyone who doesn't agree with you as a 'liberal'. Being a liberal doesn't mean yo agree with everything that people like Senator Obama believe. I clearly do not. I am a cross between a libertarian and a social progressive. I am a fiscal conservative but I understand that our current financial situation is too bleak to bet that current revenues will increase and pay our debts. I don't support candidates who will further increase trade deals to allow the exploitation of workers in developing countries at the cost of American jobs. One of the principle reasons I supported John Edwards in the primary season was because he was the first to propose that we rethink our many trade deals and how they affect American jobs. I studied the impact of trade deals on American jobs at the University of Cincinnati while getting my BA in Philosophy with a minor in Engineering Sciences. This is one of my great passions. Properly negotiated trade deals can lead to a win-win situation for us and our allies, but improper trade deals like the ones negotiated by Reagan, Bush, and Clinton have put us in a bind. I'm no Barack Obama follower, and I'm obviously pissed that John Edwards will not be President, but I believe that John McCain will continue to lead us down the path of trade deals that are bad for small and medium sized businesses in America. I see no change in mentality from the current President and the three before to lead me to believe anything different will come from John McCain. Obama isn't a saint, but he brings different ideas to the table and remember, he's not going to do everything he says because Congressional Leaders will still hold the key to the bank.

Good talk and we REALLY took over this post! HIJACKED!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I don't even know where I am anymore........

Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mike you are right where you have always been.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 AM

Holy CRAP.......................[&:]

Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 PM

GM will cut , claw and scrape its way through this. As far as the oil companies go its the oil producers CEO's that should have called congress on thecarpet demanding an explination ofwhycongresshas droped the ball.In 2006 the democractic majority promoisedan energy policy two years later nothing but more restrictions on everything that is petroleum.By law the oil producers have access to about 15% of domestic reserves. The big oil companies net profit is about 8% the "record profit " is because they are doing record volume, that doesn't change the 8% margin. There are bio-med and software companies that wouldntbother to open uptomorrow for 8%. Impose more tax on the producersis RIDICULUS, we have the best drilling and production technology in the world - ever.Its not 1990 anymore,the enviro impact is minimal. What is fortunate is the big oil companies have notALL moved to Dubi , YET. Put some more tax on them and we can fit our Hummers with a mast and sail.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Despite trouble on the U.S. front, General Motors Corp. is booming inEurope. GM said Wednesday it recorded record sales of nearly 1.2 million vehicles in Europe in the first six months of this year. That is an increase of 3 percent over lastyear.

GM's sales grew 58 percent in Eastern Europe and 60 percent in Russia, offsetting a weaker market in Spain and Italy.

Even Hummer, a brand GM is considering selling because of slow U.S. sales, saw a 21 percent jump inRussia.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...-GM-Europe.php

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM

Where have I been?? My uncle works for chevy and he said they told him that GM is gonna keep hummer and the h2 is officially gone. GM is still making money off the military hummers and h3 and soon other models. I guess we can all pool our money together and just buy it.

WHOSE WITH ME???

Quick Reply: Will GM Survive?