PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Will cranking the torsions raise the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Default Will cranking the torsions raise the rear?

I don't have my Alpha leveled, and don't care to, so the torsions are in factory positions. Just got done washing it, and noticed it leans towards the driver's side. Got out the tape measure, and sure enough, drivers side rear at 24", passenger side rear at 24 7/8", both fronts at an even 22". I thought about trying to crank the driver's side to level out the rear, but then I'm sure I'll throw out the front. I currently have 5/8 tank of gas, so it will only get worse with a full tank. Any thoughts?

P.S. yeah....yeah...I know, 85_305......'crank the bars and lose the nerfs'

Attached Thumbnails Will cranking the torsions raise the rear?-dsc00544.jpg   Will cranking the torsions raise the rear?-dsc00549.jpg   Will cranking the torsions raise the rear?-dsc00546.jpg   Will cranking the torsions raise the rear?-dsc00548.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

holysh*t your good! I was just about to drop my line!

But seriously, these trucks came with all sorts of measurements from the factory. No two HUMMER measurements will ever be the same. No, cranking the t bars wont lift your rear-end any.. but if you think about it, you will be lifting the rear end several inches.

If you think about the truck as a lever, think about how the front is 2" lower than it should be.. think about every inch of frame you get to being closer to the rear tires. Every inch on the front axle, will lift the middle of the truck even more so. Does this make sense?

So in short, no you the t-bars doesn't exactly "lift" the rear-end.. but it does in-fact lift everything in between the front axle and the rear axle by more than 2".

But on a side note, I would seriously consider cranking those bars and losing the nerfs. Thats the best thing you can do, bang for the buck. I can absolutely 100% tell a difference when climbing hills and rocks and creek beds a difference from the stock raked-stance.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
I don't have my Alpha leveled, and don't care to, so the torsions are in factory positions. Just got done washing it, and noticed it leans towards the driver's side. Got out the tape measure, and sure enough, drivers side rear at 24", passenger side rear at 24 7/8", both fronts at an even 22". I thought about trying to crank the driver's side to level out the rear, but then I'm sure I'll throw out the front. I currently have 5/8 tank of gas, so it will only get worse with a full tank. Any thoughts?

I have noticed on a few of my Alphas that there was a difference in the rear height from left to right. Once you start to try to even out the rear with the torsion bars your front will be lop-sided and you will need an alignment! It is a never ending cycle!

As far as the last comment! Do what YOU want, keep the torsion bars stock and enjoy the "factory" ride and mpg. Nurf bars: maybe your wife is short and likes the extra assistance, you have a knee or hip problem and the steps help out with entering and exiting the vehicle, or maybe YOu like them! Do whatever YOU want to, it's your Alpha, you bought it and are making the payments!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

^My 10year old daughter has adjusted well to no nerf bars and the cranked t bars.

Also, according to my last trip which consisted of 800 round-miles, my mileage didn't move an inch with the t-bars cranked. I was still reeling in a consistant 18.7mpg.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 PM

Not trying to be goofey but make sure you are on a Level surface when you measure. My garage is fairly new however if i dont park exactly in the center of the slab, it will show one side slightly higher. Also if i was you, i would leave your side steps(nerfs if you want to call them) on. not only do they offer a tad bit of side protection with a low speed contact, i use them when washing/polishing or cleaning the sunroof glass or roof not to mention getting in without always yanking on the steering wheel.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

The nerfs are "ok" for low speed impact; but anything more than that, and they will bend up right into the frame of the truck and bend really bad. I've seen doors that cannot open because the nerfs were bent so bad, and I've seen rear tires that couldn't even turn because the nerfs were so jammed into them.

Nerfs are reallllly low hanging, that things you hit with them, would otherwise NOT have hit your actual truck if they weren't there. I've been rock crawling, hill climbing, and creek trekking recently, and the nerfs which once posed as a ground clearance limitation, was non existant anymore. I had zero g-c issues. In fact, I was rolling up huge spots of rock/vegetation, and didn't even notice how high they were until I cleared them, and got out and looked.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by marksteven
Not trying to be goofey but make sure you are on a Level surface when you measure. My garage is fairly new however if i dont park exactly in the center of the slab, it will show one side slightly higher. Also if i was you, i would leave your side steps(nerfs if you want to call them) on. not only do they offer a tad bit of side protection with a low speed contact, i use them when washing/polishing or cleaning the sunroof glass or roof not to mention getting in without always yanking on the steering wheel.

It really doesn't matter if the driveway is level or not. As long as it's a 'flat' surface, being off level will have no effect on the sprung distance from wheel center to bottom of fender.
I originally had a 2 year lease on my H3, and it didn't come with nerfs. My wife's not short, nor do I have kids or knee problems.....I went out and bought them because I like them! You're absolutely right, though, they are great for getting to the roof for washing, roof rack access, etc. They are almost a necessity for the salty, snowy winters we get here in Michigan, to be able to get in/out without dragging your pants across the slushy rocker panels. To each his own, I guess.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

They are almost a necessity for the salty, snowy winters we get here in Michigan, to be able to get in/out without dragging your pants across the slushy rocker panels. To each his own, I guess.
Aw ****! **** **** ****!! I didn't think of that! Shiiiiittttttt. What am I gonna do lol.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 PM

what is all this leveling talk about, I did a search and can't find clear definition of what it actually does?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 PM

It really doesn't matter if the driveway is level or not. As long as it's a 'flat' surface, being off level will have no effect on the sprung distance from wheel center to bottom of fender.
I originally had a 2 year lease on my H3, and it didn't come with nerfs. My wife's not short, nor do I have kids or knee problems.....I went out and bought them because I like them! You're absolutely right, though, they are great for getting to the roof for washing, roof rack access, etc. They are almost a necessity for the salty, snowy winters we get here in Michigan, to be able to get in/out without dragging your pants across the slushy rocker panels. To each his own, I guess.

Mine didnt come with them either. i went and bought the OEM bars from the dealer and wouldnt be with out them.

Quick Reply: Will cranking the torsions raise the rear?