PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

wife..... off-roading..... paranoid.... only car......... break stuff........... DOH!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Default RE: wife..... off-roading..... paranoid.... only car......... break stuff........... DOH!

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

When we bought this H3, it was agreed we were buying it because we wanted to start off-roading. Plain and simple, right? Every time I bring up off-roading, she starts into this thing about "oh what if something breaks, it's our only car" blah blah blah. Her family are all self-proclaimed car "experts" whom some say "there is no such thing as a 5 cylinder engine" so, that being said, you can only imagine what kind of myths she is filled with, such as "we shouldn't run the AC so much because it will drain the battery", "you have to let the car warm up for 5 to 10 minutes before you drive it (in ANY weather)" , etc. I tried to explain to her that with Old cars, this stuff may be true in certain situations, but newer cars do not suffer from this unless you do extensive customizations and so forth. Anyway, she keeps sayings he wants to go, and then always says no and uses the reason to be either "it's too far" or "I don't want to break something" in which case I say "I'm driving so you can sleep" or "It's under warranty and we have AAA to tow us to the dealer if we break something." We don't even do crazy stuff. I feel like I wasted my money buying the H3 because we never use it for anything we intended on using it for. I can't WAIT to get a second car next year, DOH! I just had to share. I keep telling her she would love it but I think her fear of something breaking overpowers her excitement of going, so it's going to be a fight. I told her, we have one of the most durable ruggid vehicles you can buy for off-roading and she needs to stop worrying, but all these years of myths and crazy talk she has known make her believe every car is like a Jenga game, waiting to fall apart [:@]

I just hope once she goes in the next few weeks she will see it's ok. We might go this Sunday to a local place just so she gets a feel for it. I have a feeling once she goes, she will see that nothing is going to happen.
Dude, Stop telling her and just go...then tell her you had a big mac attack for the off road...sorry

Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: wife..... off-roading..... paranoid.... only car......... break stuff........... DOH!

Oh we are. I've got everything ready to go. We probably wont' wait for the 4th. She worries to damn much anyway; gets that crap from her mother

Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Then all the more reason to take her out muddin'. She's going to have a ball once she sees how much fun it is.... I"m all for it if hubby will do the clean-up...

Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

I still have mud in the doors from two months ago when we went

Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 PM

I think I will stay out of this one..

Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM

<ahem>.....pants sugar...the pants [8D]

Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 AM

GO. She'll love it. My anti-Hummer brother and his like minded wife began laughing when I took them through the mud in Kansas. They "got it" then.

And if something breaks, really, what's the worst that happens? You take it back to a dealer via AAA (or really, via GM Roadside Assistance), they fix it, and you're good to go. Is that really a bad thing to be lucky enough to be inconvenienced? We're lucky to be able to afford Hummers, we're lucky to be able to take them offroading and it isn't going to ruin us if we take it offroad and break something (unlikely anyway). There are much bigger things to worry about than H3 reliability, offroad damage (I've bent a driveshaft through stupidity), unforseen accidents, etc. No one is going to die. We'll still be here tomorrow and the car will be fixed. It's a friggin' possession, it's a truck, it's not the basis around which we revolve our lives!

Or, trade it in a get an ultra-reliable Honda Civic. Always park it in a garage to avoid sun damage. Tint the windows to protect the interior. Don't tint the windows because cops don't like it. Warm up the car before driving it, but don't warm up the car before driving it because the oil hasn't circulated. Lock the car doors when you drive away so you don't get carjacked. Don't lock the doors when you drive away to make it easier to get out in case of an accident. Airbags save lives. Airbags hurt people. Who do you choose to believe?

There's no winning in arguments based in fear. You can talk this out forever and just make each other angry. Live by your experiences, not what someone once told you. And if you haven't experienced it, are you really an expert to question it? Believe in yourself. You're an adult. Your wife is an adult. You are capable of making your own decisions. And if she doesn't like it after the trip, then she's made a sound decision based on her own experiences and judgement.

Sorry about my rant. These irrational arguments are probably the one thing that really gets me going.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

You are absolutely right alrock. I actually took her on Sunday with her brother and his GF. She liked it. I came up with a name for her, "The Humam Depreciation Calculater." You can figure out why lol. Once she saw HummerMike sink into a mud ditch she got a little "concerned" but when he was at a 45 degree angle half-way buried in dirt water and pulled himself out, she realized what these things could really do. She freaked out a little when he was teetering on two wheels, but we told her "That's what these things do." She eventually started liking it but we told her the park we went to sucked and it was nothing like what she will see on the 4th when we go to a big off-road park. She's actually looking forward to it now. So, kinda like your experience as well, they end up liking it once that initial "first time on a roller coaster" effect wears off lol. Her brother and I told her "when we go to the Badlands, roller coasters won't be as exciting anymore" so we'll see how that goes.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:14 AM

Mike, just tell the wife to imagine the American border is over those rocks, her Mexican heritage will kick in and she'll fly right over em....lol..sorry

Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Is she thinking that off roading is like the OFF RAOD RACING stuff you catch on TV when doin a little channel surfing. Maybe she doesn't like mud, or all the time you spend cleaning after an off road adventure??? Take her to Silver Lake.....I knew I could get that in here somewhere.........when you are done in the sand and back at the ranch, the truck still looks clean as a whistle! ASK HER TO DRIVE!!!!! Yes, ask her to drive in a tame area (not a freekin sippy hole where she can burry it)so she can experiment a little to get a feel for how much fun it is to be in control of a big tough truck not in the parking lot of the Piggly Wiggly. I bet her family told her not to have unwed sex...., and after she met you did she listen to them on that one, and did she ....... not going there, but you get the point.

Quick Reply: wife..... off-roading..... paranoid.... only car......... break stuff........... DOH!