PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Why upgrade spare tire...with 35"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
I was going to ask about that. It's the only reason that makes sense. But why they would cheap out on a $50 sensor...
It's not that they cheaped out per say, but from my understanding the TPM only monitors 4 sensors (the tires on the ground) at a time. I would assume they don't include the spare since everything I've read says that the TPM system is apparently a huge pain to mess with.

Threads and posts I've seen about people getting bad TPM messages or needing them replaced usually involve them going back and forth to the dealer because they can't get it right. I dunno if they just don't know how to work with the TPM system or just have idiots working for them or what. I'd guess the dealers just haven't gotten good at this yet because we're just now starting to see the first generation of vehicles with the TPM sensors start to have their batteries die.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

difference be in '07 the spare had a TPM and the '10 does not? __________________
ahh,,yeah,thats it,my brain only works on one thing at a time. i was so pxxxed to find my 10 with no sensor/spare. if i knew i swear id have had it pulled from my 07 trade.
so they change an important function for a usless one thats a pain,for some.
well were headed off course,,im done,(dont worry abt short trip with donut)!!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 AM

I agree this has been beaten to death......Fact, its a spare, have a doughnut and get to the shop and get your tire fixed......my "spare" has no TPMS so the light will remind you soon after you put it on.....go get a new tire or get it fixed....end of story.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
It's not that they cheaped out per say, but from my understanding the TPM only monitors 4 sensors (the tires on the ground) at a time. I would assume they don't include the spare since everything I've read says that the TPM system is apparently a huge pain to mess with.

Threads and posts I've seen about people getting bad TPM messages or needing them replaced usually involve them going back and forth to the dealer because they can't get it right. I dunno if they just don't know how to work with the TPM system or just have idiots working for them or what. I'd guess the dealers just haven't gotten good at this yet because we're just now starting to see the first generation of vehicles with the TPM sensors start to have their batteries die.
I understand all that, but since you have to go through the procedure every time you rotate your tires anyway, no TPM in the spare means you can't do a 5 tire rotation without a warning light being on all the time.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Banned
Default ,,,someone gotta keep forum alive,,,

I'd guess the dealers just haven't gotten good at this yet because we're just now starting to see the first generation of vehicles with the TPM sensors start to have their batteries die.
tell u whats scary,figgering the above; 5 or 10 yrs down the road when hummer mechanics are thinned out or forget what an h3 is,,and what could easily be hundreds of NEW problems start showing up,that we aint seen yet.
we already know what the ign assm and driver door can do to a reasonably sane driver! and those problems are in young machines.

when i look at the hundreds of plugs/sockets alone,i get chilled.

but ,today,not a problem,,,so,,gotta go drive,,somewhere,hope i can get my 10 fixed in 20 when im using a walker and a ladder!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:03 AM

Wow...drtom was warning me, but that was a response storm...

Anyway thanks for all answers!

My decision stays to not upgrade the spare....and just use the spare for emergency.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwheel
Wow...drtom was warning me, but that was a response storm...

Anyway thanks for all answers!

My decision stays to not upgrade the spare....and just use the spare for emergency.
Well that is true, but then again about half the responses in this thread were his so i guess it is easy to predict that when you make it come true...LOL

i agree with your decision , and did the same on my tire upgrade/size.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by H3inPA
Well that is true, but then again about half the responses in this thread were his so i guess it is easy to predict that when you make it come true...LOL

i agree with your decision , and did the same on my tire upgrade/size.
I also kept my OEM size spare, and am just covering it up with a tire cover. I have a set of 35" ProComp Xtreme MT's, and I'll move the one in the best shape to the spare when I buy a new set after this winter.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vinny
you will be fine just air down out of your other tires so they match
This is a joke right????? Got to be?

Air down to what, for what? There is this little thing known as circumference that will never change regardless of the amount of air.

If you have a smaller tire on the back door, it is not a spare, it is dead weight.

Yeah somebody said some guy drove all these and that miles..... I would make sure to avoid that truck on the used market absolutely for sure.

These things ain't made for that.
Name:  DSC02644.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  105.7 KB