PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Why should I buy a H-3

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Default Why should I buy a H-3

I am currently in the market for a midsize SUV that will be used off road. So I want to know what are the true pros and cons of the H-3. I don't want to hear that it's "bad ***," just the no BS stuff. What do you like and what don't you like. I have narrowed it down to three manufacturers and Hummer is one, Toyota and Jeep are the others.

Thanks in advance,

Old 09-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Default RE: Why should I buy a H-3

It could use larger wheels, leveling, and some minor options as a stock factory option. However, in all respect, it's a great car. They could have made small adjustments on various (real rock rails instead of the side steps, real bull bar instead of the tube option bar)things and included a V8. All those things are negligible and are based on opinion anyways (others likes to ride lower, etc).

One thing I do wish that they did do was make it E85 compliant or offered a Diesel version, that would have been nice.

I'm going to copy and paste what I said before:

My H3 has been incredible, I get good MPG (around 18), it's awesome off-roading, it has plenty of power (unless of course you want to drag V8's), it handles great, no problems whatsoever (knocks on wood). Braking is good andturning is great. Seats are great (it's hair resistant for your pet owners) and cleans up super easy. Overall it's a great and a very potential car.

I have found the only people complaining about the H3 are the ones who stepped from their V8's who tends to drive heavy footed off the line. Also, the users usually complaining about the H3 are ones who's wife’s are the ones driving it (no offense here ladies, but you guys statistically kill cars), they are complaining about "acceleration" and breathe down their husbands throats because they couldn't pass the other Soccer mom ina V8 Denali on a cold engine). This isn't a Lamborghini; this isn't a Rolls Royce... IT'S AN OFF-ROAD TRUCK... nothing more nothing less.

If you are looking for something that has great off-road potential and is very capable.. but would like a dash of luxury and name, then the Hummer is your choice. If you are coming from a V8, then go with the Alpha, unless if you can take the slower engine (keep in mind, Wrangler or Toyota FJ doesn't have a V8).

Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

They're Bad ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D] Stated in press by more than one review source, they are "the best off road vehicle GM has ever built."
However, you do give up some in the "on road" department. They are not fast, and are heavy, but ride suprisingly nice on and off road. So I suggest a balancing test,
if you will use its off road side, you will love the 3. If you pound pavement 99% of the time, probly think about getting somethin else. I made the right choice for me
and my needs. I also live in MI and have to deal with sloppy winter roads, the 3 is a pleasure in that environment. It's a truck, not a station wagon!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM

comparing anything toyota makes to a hummer is completely laughable!!! The FJ SUCKS MONKEY NUTZ...PERIOD. Any off road damage that occurs to an fj will NOT be covered under your warranty..hummer will cover everything! The jeep JK IMO is as nice and better off road...but only the rubicon model. The interior is much nicer in the hummer than the jeep JK. The h3 can fit 35" tires with no mods, the jeep jk will needa 3" lift and the fj will need 4 or more.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

One thing I don't like about the H3.....

This one time.... at band camp.... I buried my H2 up to the wheelwells..... and the H3 couldn't pull me out... instead I had to get two vehicles with winches to pull me out.... one of which was a Jeep... tied to a tree..... and he ripped his cable off of the drum.....

Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

One thing I don't like about the H3.....

This one time.... at band camp.... I buried my H2 up to the wheelwells..... and the H3 couldn't pull me out... instead I had to get two vehicles with winches to pull me out.... one of which was a Jeep... tied to a tree..... and he ripped his cable off of the drum.....
Where is your winch? [8D]

Old 09-21-2007, 02:13 PM

i had my H2 for a day and burried the front end in a mud pit - took 2 toyota pickups to pull me out. pic was up on pirate4x4 that night, but they were cool about the whole thing. surprised to actually see one out there. the H3 wasn't out yet, so my response here has absolutely nothing to do with why anyone should buy an H3, but i felt the need to ramble . . . . . . . . now that need has been quenched, i'll go back to my cave . . . . . .

Old 09-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Ok down to two, the H3 and the FJ, I have owned two Tundras now and the take it off road and Toyota won't cover breakage is crap. Badass is relative as with the best off road vehicle GM has ever made, nothing really stands out in GMs history as a great off road vehicle. Now between the FJ and the H-3, the H-3 costs almost $14,000 more over 5 years (true cost to own) so there has to be a compelling reason to buy one.......leather is not one for me! Jeep is out of the question........My 05 Rubicons 2nd gear went out in less than 8 months (only 4000K miles), Jeep would not cover it due to 33" tires. The FJs only real problem so far is that some have reported cracks forming in crumple zones on the inner front fenders.
I have heard of head problems on H-3s, not sure of the extent of this problem but that hits a major catagory.Not sure how many are effected by this or if it has been fixed. The Exterra is just a little long in the tooth, it needs some updating. I guess I will be test driving the H-3 and a FJ.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Is this an F ing joke.[8D] JD Power award: 2007 BEST OVERALL VALUE AWARD. Four Wheeler Magazine EDITOR'S PICK / BEST OVERALL. Yep the Toyota costs less to own, especially with a nice couple of cracks. The H3 holds its resale value, if you are gonna lease, that don't matter. Unless your gonna buy a used 06 or very early 07, the Head issue is gone. I wouldn't give ya a twited rats azz nickle for a Yota! Go get a sake sucker.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:17 PM

#1 end of story

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a H-3