PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

White Hummer H3 with Gobi Rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Default RE: White Hummer H3 with Gobi Rack

Yup..I'm sure Mike (Importkiller) is right, now that I see the avatar in living color...She is saying "Back-up Bitch"

Old 09-28-2006, 02:59 AM

ORIGINAL: GeotekHummer

PHOTOS please

I would like to see a up close photo of how the Ladder is installed.

Also good side shot and a top shot if possible

Wahooo!!!

ORIGINAL: GeotekHummer

Thumbnail Image
[IMG]

Wahoo!!!

LIKEWISE!!! [sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 09-28-2006, 04:04 AM

Fireworks software

Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM

IT CAME!!! Delivered at 12:45 and with 2 people was done in 3 hours.
We had to get creative though. They claim 2 people can lift it onto the roof easily. I don't see how. I would say 3 people need to do it in order to avoid scratches. We on the other hand didnt have a 3rd so when two engineering students get together, the ideas flow. We made a sling out of some climbing rope, threw it over a tree branch in my front yard, then hoisted it about 12 feet in the air. Then drove my H3 into the middle of the yard under the tree branch and lowered it into place. Worked like a charm and the neighbors thought it was pretty amusing.
The fairing is a pain to get in place, it takes a lot of bending to get it to match up right and seal off on the bottom. Mine isnt quite right yet so it actually makes more noise than prevents because air is whistling on the bottom part. I haven't decided if I am going to keep it. On one hand its a primo sticker spot but on the other hand its noisy and i like the looks without it.

SO..this is the stealth rack. The apparant difference is the little silver bolt on the bracket. that separates the top rail and the bottom grate.

One beef so far, they claim that the crossbars mounted to the top are there for all your sport mounting needs. Well I haven't found a rack that will actually go on them yet without modifying because there is only 3/4" of clearance to fit a mounting bracket through. I wanted to put a Yakima box up there. No dice, the bracket needs 1.5" in order to work. So I'm going to have to do some modding in order to get it to work. Other than that, It looks beautiful, its rock solid and I would definately reccomend you add lights when you get it because it comes with wires hanging out. So if you dont get lights, you've got wires dangling there taunting you about how you are underusing your equipment.

Here are the pictures as requested...

[IMG]local://upfiles/1061/D0702FF2C08846FE8D3B9412B90ADB02.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1061/5C5E81A7C684439DA8A0053E2FFCE998.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1061/58672800A541451AAFF59AC1F10E1CD2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1061/EF70F9417B0F42F8A4AC81DCE64F3417.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1061/93D0095C4F3643D7A14A574E876740E6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2006, 09:41 PM

Here are pictures of how the ladder is mounted.
I was nervous that it was tapped on, but the tape is mostly there to keep metal off metal and make it easier to mount. All the load bearing is the brackets. I had a 210 lbs person climb it and i didnt see any flex in the door. Seems very sturdy. Except there needs to be a step to get to the bumper if you really want a ladder for more than just its looks.

The top bracket is a C shape and it is taped on and then using set screws is kept in place. This is always being pulled on if its load bearing so its fine. There are 2 bolts coming out the top that the ladder itself bolts to. On the bottom, the ladder tapes to the door and then there is a type of C clamp that bolts around the bottom of the door to keep the ladder in place. No drilling, just lots of clamping and thoughtful engineering. Very clever.

Here are the pictures.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1061/BE89F5C3131F49DBA39BBF14271843E2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1061/C8FDA4D673CB46BAA35C03E7567C9FCB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1061/F4D860B4A07C4C58BB5AD0BD9DD59571.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Oh yea I forgot...when I tried to get a box to fit on the rack and realized there was not enough room the response of the store was "maybe you should get a smaller car"...I checked at two places and they BOTH said the same thing.. WTF?! That makes absolutely no sense since the problem was that the rack was too small.....What is wrong with people. I love name brand recognition. Thats why I put that sticker on the door. It just pisses em off more

But hey I guess thats what you get if you shop at those outdoor adventure backpacking/camping places...sheesh. Always gotta get in that stab for destroying their beloved outdoor playground with my planet destroying 20 mpg....

SAVE THE PLANET!! Drive a...old Jeep?

Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 PM

Nice job Ghostrider It looks great! The whole rig looks greatName:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 22
Size:  3.2 KB I like the Hummer decal, where did that come from?

Old 09-29-2006, 11:05 PM

I found one on ebay but then f'ed it up putting it on so I had this one custom made. f'ed it up again but not as bad so I left it. I dont have mud flaps so they will probably need to be replaced sometime anyway since its matte black vinyl.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:17 PM

Since I don't have a tree available and it will probably be just my girlfriend and myself trying to put mine on when it comes, do you have any suggestions to make it easier? I am thinking of blankets on the roof and any area it may touch the H3, but how heavy is it, and how much dificulty do you think I will have?

The ladder looks cool. I was wondering how they would mount it without drilling. I really cant wait for it to get here!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

Since I don't have a tree available and it will probably be just my girlfriend and myself trying to put mine on when it comes, do you have any suggestions to make it easier? I am thinking of blankets on the roof and any area it may touch the H3, but how heavy is it, and how much dificulty do you think I will have?

The ladder looks cool. I was wondering how they would mount it without drilling. I really cant wait for it to get here!
Definately blankets. Maybe try and put it on from the side and stand on ladders. It weighs about 90 lbs i'd say. Also, you first put the back 6 mounting brackets in the rails and then set it on top, dont tighten those brackets all the way until the rack is bolted to the brackets. Thats your only means of adjustment to get everything to line up right. One last tip if you want, when you bolt the rack part to the brackets, use the bolts upside down. Put the nut on the top and the head underneath. It will be much easier to get the washers on..I bashed a few knuckles trying to get my hand under the rack. Let me know how it goes..I cant wait to see what your rack looks like! And dont worry about not having something to haul..the packing box is gimongous...throwing it away is a task in itself.

Quick Reply: White Hummer H3 with Gobi Rack