PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

wheel spin in 12 inches of snow and weird relay/clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Default wheel spin in 12 inches of snow and weird relay/clicking sound

Yesterday, while pulling out into traffic in 4Hi Lock (12+ inches on the ground too) the wheels spun a bit (probably gave it too much gas), and while moving I got a weird clicking/relay type of sound from the front-left wheel area or under the Instrument Panel. It only happens when I hit the gas and really get the wheels spinning. It doesn't do it when driving normally or when putting the trans in neutral and reving the engine.

I thought it may be the Stabilitrak system taking measurements of wheel speed, but I turned off the Stabilitrak and it still did it. Personally, I think it's a sensor of some type measuring wheel speed but not sure (I am not a powertrain engineer).

Anyone know anything or have this issue. To duplicate, you have to gun it pretty good while in deep snow where vehicle isn't moving much but wheel speed is such that you lose traction.

Is there also a traction control system on the base H3?? If so, is it separate from the stabilitrak??

Anywayanyone who read my last post about annoying neighbor in econo-box.....found out he is in Florida until Jan 3rd....guess I'll have to mess with him when he gets back.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Default RE: wheel spin in 12 inches of snow and weird relay/clicking sound

Nothing to worry about.......just the traction control doing its job! It is a strange sound though.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 PM

Here's a dumb question though if I have the Stabilitrak turned OFF, does that also turn off the Traction Control??? Or, is the Traction Control ALWAYS on????

If the Traction control is always on (with no way to turn it off) then that was what I suspected the noise may be. I like your response (since it makes me feel better), but if anyone can contridictMonument H3'sexplaination I would like to hear the theory. Or, if you agree, let me know.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 PM

im not sure if it stays on all the time but... when i turn mine off the trac light that is on.. meaning its off starts to flash only when i start from a dead stop....for me its halfway through 1st gear...then it stops flashing and goes back to being solid ....but ya last winter after i bought mine i pulled out from my sub and thought my truck fell apart and i almost got hit...i turn it off everytime it snows..

Old 12-20-2008, 09:06 PM

when I look at my '08 owner's manual, it states on page 4-8: "If you press and hold the TC button for five seconds, the StabiliTrak system and the traction control system will turn off."

If the TC is off when StabiliTrak is off why would I still hear a noise when the wheel is slipping at high speed?? Is the owner's manual wrong?? I have read in other posts that you cannot turn off the TC. I did read a post that you can turn off the TC if you are in 4-low and hit the TC button one more time (since 4-low automatically turns off the StabiliTrak System) Is this true????? Maybe the owner's manual has a misprint????

I need to disable the StabiliTrac system and see if when the wheels spin (at a high rate) does the "TC icon" flash or stay steady.