PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Wheel center cap retention

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Default Wheel center cap retention

Anyone have tips for more securely (re)installing stock wheel center caps?
Only ever lost one in the past 5 years.
Got home last night after going to a brushless car wash and not one but two were missing.
Went back this morning there they were on opposite sides of the bay.

Not confident on just popping them back on.
early on the dealer suggested dabs of superglue but this forum is a much smarter bunch.

Couldn't find anything about this searching the forum.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

You had a tire shop do rotations and put the caps back on? didn't you?

When you off road a 3 with OEM wheels, the first thing dang near everybody does is pull off the C Caps, so they do not get trashed, sucked off in the mud, or lost. So when you go for a rotation, pull the caps off before giving them the key to pull it in the bay. They stay on indefinitely when you, the owner, puts them back on, instead of the hungover tire monkey at the shop.

First inspect the inside of the C Cap. Note the position and presence of all the tabs and the all important spring wire. I noticed a bunch on ebay have missing tabs or missing spring wire, those are not gonna stay put. The spring wire has to be in position to keep pressure on the plastic tabs, and there is a groove in the tabs for the spring wire to keep it in place.

If all the tabs are not straight, you need to line them up against the wire. Most H3 caps have the clock hand "Hummer" thing sticking out to 3 O'Clock, line that up where it goes in the wheel, then push it into position and give it a swift tap to pop it on, without bending under any of the plastic tabs.

You can just ***** nilly pop them on, it will bend under a tab or two, and that is where the trouble starts. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You had a tire shop do rotations and put the caps back on? didn't you?

When you off road a 3 with OEM wheels, the first thing dang near everybody does is pull off the C Caps, so they do not get trashed, sucked off in the mud, or lost. So when you go for a rotation, pull the caps off before giving them the key to pull it in the bay. They stay on indefinitely when you, the owner, puts them back on, instead of the hungover tire monkey at the shop.

First inspect the inside of the C Cap. Note the position and presence of all the tabs and the all important spring wire. I noticed a bunch on ebay have missing tabs or missing spring wire, those are not gonna stay put. The spring wire has to be in position to keep pressure on the plastic tabs, and there is a groove in the tabs for the spring wire to keep it in place.

If all the tabs are not straight, you need to line them up against the wire. Most H3 caps have the clock hand "Hummer" thing sticking out to 3 O'Clock, line that up where it goes in the wheel, then push it into position and give it a swift tap to pop it on, without bending under any of the plastic tabs.

You can just ***** nilly pop them on, it will bend under a tab or two, and that is where the trouble starts. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

How'd you know??

Awesome, thanks so much. This is very, very helpful!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 PM

I believe at some point during production, GM quit putting the spring wire in the center caps. Not sure when or why, but most of the newer H3s I've seen don't have springs in place.

My '08 didn't have them when I bought it used. I haven't lost a cap yet, but I'd sure like to find a set of just the spring wires.

Can anybody come up with a part number for just the spring hoops?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
I believe at some point during production, GM quit putting the spring wire in the center caps. Not sure when or why, but most of the newer H3s I've seen don't have springs in place.

My '08 didn't have them when I bought it used. I haven't lost a cap yet, but I'd sure like to find a set of just the spring wires.

Can anybody come up with a part number for just the spring hoops?
I think the Lux pkg wheels may not come with the wires? Not sure.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I think the Lux pkg wheels may not come with the wires? Not sure.
Just checked my 08' Alpha....they're there

Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM

Coming back around to this. Mine does not have the spring wire and they are base model wheels, '07.
I've subsequently lost another one in the past month. Starting to wonder if there's a fatigue age with the plastic tabs or something.
Any one have suggestions for a little additional help to keep them on?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM

The spring hoops mentioned above force the tabs outward and keep pressure on them so the tabs don't lose there shape over time. Your best bet would be to track down or fabricate some wire spring hoops.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 AM

06s and 08s have springs so do 09 and 10s. Never owned or worked on an 07 so I can't say for sure.

Sounds like someone replaced some stolen OEM caps with junk ones without the springs.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 AM

My 07 has NO springs.
The pair of rims that I bought for the adventure trailer came off of an 07 and they had no springs.

Quick Reply: Wheel center cap retention