PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

What octane fuel results in best economy/power in these trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Well like I've said 5 times already, my '06 Pacifica gets MUCH better mileage between 87 and 93. Take it or leave it. I just put '89 into my tank yesterday and we'll see what the diff is between 87 and 89 in a few weeks I think.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM

I've tried it with my 98 jeep GC and same mileage. But I also tried with a Chrysler sebring and got better mileage... Never tried in H3, manual says use 87. But its v52ery interesting, makes you wonder about the H3... hey let us know what you get.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Thumbs down

:roll eyes:

Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Fact or fiction, i dont care. Mine runs better on mid grade 89 octane than 87. i quit putting 87 in last year.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tlilmo
I've tried it with my 98 jeep GC and same mileage. But I also tried with a Chrysler sebring and got better mileage... Never tried in H3, manual says use 87. But its v52ery interesting, makes you wonder about the H3... hey let us know what you get.
Ya thats how it seems to go. Most cars there is no difference or a negative difference in power/mileage, and then there are some where it's like "whoa I shoulda been doing this all along!". I'll def let you guys know what i come up with.

Originally Posted by marksteven
Fact or fiction, i dont care. Mine runs better on mid grade 89 octane than 87. i quit putting 87 in last year.
The truck seems to be running more crisp and seems to be taking in less fuel, but I'll report in after a few tank fulls.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Most people who go out and spend extra money on something will usually try to justify it to themselves, after all you have just spent more of your hard earned money on something you perceive to be of higher quality... it is a classic placebo affect.

One of the reasons that premium VS regular seems to come up a lot is it is sitting there staring you in the face at the pump "Look at me, I am premium"... how many people have been suckered into it? I know I have before I ever looked into it enough to know better.

If you search enough threads there are people out there that will tell you that things like pulse plugs, magnetic fuel line attachments and voltage stabilizers make your care better on fuel and run cleaner... it isn't that I don't believe those people think it these types of products do these things; it is that I know when they are tested in the real world by a 3rd party under strict controlled tests they have all been dispelled.... this includes running premium fuel in an engine designed to run on regular gasoline.

It has been proven time and time again, if your car is designed to run on regular fuel from the factory... it will run on regular fuel just as cleanly, smoothly and efficiently as it will on premium. (note that I am not using octane levels as regular fuel at higher altitudes actually has less octane than regular at sea level)

The really confusing part is when people are so adamant about being right they start skewing facts to try and prove they work... then it usually turns into a big online battle until somebody spends a lot of money on a real controlled test to disprove the fudged or inaccurate results.

Anyway, post up the results of your testing! I am always interested

Just one note; keep in mind that you can get vastly different results if you change your driving style even slightly, the humidity and temperature also play a role in your vehicles efficiency. They key to a good comparison test will be consistancy!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 05-12-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM

you should try 100 octane, man the mpg and hp gains are ridicoulous and further more it's worth whatever money is needed to get the 100 octane. I am going to run jetfuel next month just to see if my H3 can fly. LOL

Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

I understand that different environmental characteristics will have different effects on an accurate reading.

But I monitored my 3.5 Pacifica going the same exact route from NY to MD that I've taken many many many times. Which involves a good chunk city with mostly highway driving.

I'll test the 89 and see whats up

Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

PS I've ran jet fuel thru some of my turbo cars. It made a difference, to say in the least.

Yes I know, a hummer isn't a turbo car.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
you should try 100 octane, man the mpg and hp gains are ridicoulous and further more it's worth whatever money is needed to get the 100 octane. I am going to run jetfuel next month just to see if my H3 can fly. LOL
haha, that reminded me of that Family guy episode where he fills up his pickup with jet fuel and then flies around to the Top Gun theme song

Quick Reply: What octane fuel results in best economy/power in these trucks?