PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

What is needed and what has to be done to add the back up camera?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Default What is needed and what has to be done to add the back up camera?

Interesting enough with all the bells and whistles my H3 came with it never came with the back up camera and I'm interested in adding it on but have no idea where to start.

So what do I need besides the obvious (video cable to carry the images and the camera itself to install into my rear bumper), does it tie right into the navigation head unit in the dash and mnost importantly will it cost an arm and a leg to do it?

I did somereading from the factory manual and it seems like their is a drop down/pop out screen of some sort that comes out of the rear mirror with the images for the back up camera, I don't know if I misread this or if that is actually where the image goes to and I would need to get a new rear veiw mirror, one the carries this monitor.

Also is this an easy enough add on that I can swipe the parts needed from a wreck in the junk yard or are there all sorts of computer boards, buttons etc that I need to make it work?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 AM

In my 08 H3 Alpha the screen slides out from behind the rear view mirror when ever you put gear in reverse

Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Well I looked and I don't see anything that would pop out of the mirror and I can clearly see I don't have the back up camera so besides the camera itself and the wire to carry the signal and now I'm assuming a new rear veiw mirror is there anything else I need to install the back up cam or is just those three and find a way to get power to it and thats it?

Thanks for the info on your back up monitor and where it comes from but I'm hoping someone sees this that has added the back up cam and can give me the steps on how to install it in mine, it would be really cool if I could bypass the drop down monitor from the rear veiw mirror and have it kick on the navigation monitor when I put the H3 in reverse.

Thanks again