PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

What Have I Done?!? Dim Headlight...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Default What Have I Done?!? Dim Headlight...

Spent 10 hours this weekend putting front roof marker lights on the H3...not factory ones. Had everything on, wired & figured I should tap into one of the headlights for power as that's what I did in the rear & it worked. The marker lights came on but the headlight is now dim. I unhooked the marker lights from the headlight tap that I made, re-wired the headlight really good, even bought a new headlight lamp and it's still dim. I'm just mechanically/electrically capable to be dangerous. No idea what I did or how to fix it. If anyone knows, specifics directions and even pictures would be appreciated. What a bummer....

Old 12-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Default RE: What Have I Done?!? Dim Headlight...

THAT HAPPEN TO ME I BLEW A FUSE EACH HEAD LIGHT HAS IT OWN
CHECK THE FUSE IT TELLS YOU ON BACK OF THE COVER I THINK ONE MIGHT BE #25

Old 12-31-2006, 09:10 PM

I DID THE SAME BUYING A NEW LAMP BECAUSE IT WAS GETTING DARK THEN I CHECK THE FUSE

Old 12-31-2006, 09:11 PM

hard to diagnose without seeing the truck but...my guess is that you must have blown a relay tothe headlight. The headlights are controlled by the bcm....not a simple wire to a switch setup, it's actually computer controlled. When calling for headlights I believe the BCM energizes a relay and that sends the juice to the lights. First things first...check all fuses and relays labeled headlamps,BCM or anything related...see if there is a dead fuse smell the relays, you will know when you come across a burnt one.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:14 PM

in simple tems it the fuse

Old 12-31-2006, 09:30 PM

I was posting the same time as you.....your simplied version beat me to it

Old 12-31-2006, 09:41 PM

Thanks guys. thought I checked all the fuses but will do it again in the morning. Is there another way that I should power the front roof marker lights? Don't want to run into the same problem again.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 PM

Did you wire the roof marker lights in series or parallel with the headlights? If you wired them in series they split the voltage with the headlights and would cause them to be dimmer. If you wire the marker lights in parallel with the headlights you should be fine assuming they don't draw too much current.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:50 PM

don't know the difference between "series" & "parallel"...What I did was wire each marker light (5 of them) onto a minbus and then wired the one power wire from the minibus to the headlight & tapped into the power wire just off the headlight. Worked on the rear marker lights but not workin' out for me so far w/ the front.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 PM

either way you wire them you are taking power from the headlights unless you are using a relay and just using the headlight power wire to trip the relay. What you should do is wire in a 12V relay like you would for offroad lights. you will have 4 poles on the relay, one for power in...use a direct battery feed for this. one wire for ground...self-explanitory....one wire for power out, this will go to your +12v lead to your power distribution block (your lights)...and one for switched power in, this will be a wire that when hot will send the batter feed through the relay to the lights. Use the + wire to your parking lights or headlights for this.

Quick Reply: What Have I Done?!? Dim Headlight...