PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

What is the H3 closest competition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Default RE: What is the H3 closest competition?

ORIGINAL: sattv

Ok it's been snowing here since november and we have had some melting. but i have learned a VERY important lesson I have been climbing the snow piles up to the top and they are getting steeper and higher, some are 12feet+ high.
Tonight I high sided a pile about 7ft high in low lock track control off !!! so I called a neighbor and he pulled me off the pile with a KIA MINI VAN !!! yes i wasn't burried BUT Lessoned learned!!! Never forget a good friend and what they drive!!!
ps. I forgot to mention it's below zero out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol it's off-topic but horray to KIA!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 AM

The H3 is second to none, stock this vehicle has the highest approach, departure and breakover angles. 60% and 40% hill and slope ratings. Not to metion the gear reduction is top of the class. And compared to riding in a Rubi, you have much better creature comforts.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

The 1972 Oldsmobile Banshee!!!
Name:  banshee.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  58.1 KB

Well, maybe not???

Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Trey124

The H3 is second to none, stock this vehicle has the highest approach, departure and breakover angles. 60% and 40% hill and slope ratings. Not to metion the gear reduction is top of the class. And compared to riding in a Rubi, you have much better creature comforts.
Trey, are you trying to [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]Impy?

I agree that on many levels the H3 is best out there, I just think that they really need to beef up alot of the components they put on them if they want to be considered the best off of the floor. It's perfect for me, I doubt that I will ever see some of the rough trails many on here do, all I have around here is a bunch of mud pits. I have no expierence in rock crawling, there just isn't anywhere around here to do any of that, at least not legallyI personnaly like it because it is comfortable, it is fun to drive, and it gets alot of head turns, plus it is still very competent off road stock. Granted, it can run with some of the best, especially if has been "tinkered" with like many on here do. You be hard pressed to find very many on here running complete stock.

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE my H3. I've owned an H3 for almost 2 years now and I STILL turn around and look at it when I'm walking away, I stand there and watch it while the garage door is closing. It is my baby, second to my wife and daughter. Well, then you have to throw in the RoadKing Custom that I'm standing next to when watching the H3... Anyway, I talk it up to everyone, I would recomend it to anyone, and I will always own one. Just trying to be realistic. Appearance I don't think that you can beat it, for balance on/off road, can't beat it. Straight stock off road capabilities, need to tweek it just a little bit more. IMO

Old 01-21-2008, 01:15 PM

I was actually cross shopping the Rubi with the Hummer when i purchased. I wanted a Rubi since, as mentioned above, it is set up bad *** from the factory. I wouldn't have to modify anything, and I would have a beast. The Hummer was more comfy however, and it is a daily driver, so ill see concrete more than dirt. That's why i went with the H3. The V8 helped in the decision as well(the rubi was a turd on the highway). They were dealing on the Hummers, and wanting sticker or over for the Rubi (when you could find one). The Rubi would be GREAT as a second car, or a toy, but I'm not sure about a DD. That's why I think the FJ is a closer comparison than a Rubi.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:18 PM

One other contender that MIGHT be as good or better than the H1, H2 or H# is the Unimog
http://www.unimog-trucks.com/

Although BIG by German standards it's Pick Up truck sized here. These things are half Tractor, half Truck and have the heart of a Bull! I've seen them used in the USMC, West VA Highway Dept and Europe but have never seen a daily driver... Too bad, these trucks are awesome and EXPENSIVE!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I think most people are talking around the same point. The H3 is the best off road/on road combination out there. The Rubi is a better off road vehicle off the show room floor and that is because Jeep gives it the things the H3 lacks. Put those things on the H3 from Hummer and then you have a real debate on the off road question and its not much of a contest with the on road part of the equation. ( even though Jeep is getting better there ) I would have to say the competition between the two models/mfgs. is going to turn out to be good for everyone.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 PM

I agree 3Hummers

Old 01-21-2008, 01:53 PM

When we bought our H3 the decision for me and my wife was between the Wrangler Unlimited, and the H3. I liked both, but the reality was that this car was going to have to spend a lot more time on the road than off it; even though I probably offroad more than the average SUV owner.

So far I have taken the H3 through some moderate offroading, including fording streams, mud wallows and trail riding and it does just fine.

I agree with what has been said, if I had bought the vehicle just for offroading I would be driving a Wrangler, but as far as being a practicle offroad / onroad vehicle I am very happpy with the H3. (Now that goofy cup holder in the back . . .) LOL

Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
RMD

How about that new 4 door wrangler? Anyone ridden in one of those? Are they comfortable on the road? Has anyone here actually owned an FJ Cruiser, and if so are they as comfy on the pavement as the h3? They may be just as much fun to drive and also capable. But man are they ugly. I personally bought mine first and foremost just for its looks and next for the interior comfort. We are used to comfort getting out of a Ford expedition, but that big v8 in the ex drank gas like a H2 or worse. But likeI said, just simply the looks of the Hummer made us go do the test drive. Most of the extent of our off-roading is on sandy beaches and maybe some mud, but this is Houston, flat as a pancake, and there is no climbing around here.

Quick Reply: What is the H3 closest competition?