PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

What is the H3 closest competition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 AM
RMD
Default What is the H3 closest competition?

I hear some bashing jeeps, some talking FJ Cruiser trash, some mention Land Rover. But seriously, What 4x4 is the H3's closest competitor? (I'm talking about off-road, not luxuries etc.)

Old 01-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Default RE: What is the H3 closest competition?

IMHO, I don't think there's a direct competition since most other vehicles need aftermarket mods to equal the H3. H3 comes ready to roll, others need lifts, tires, etc.

My list:
FJ Cruiser (needs mods to compete)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (needs mods to compete)
Jeep Wrangler - Rubicon (beats H3, especially with the requisite aftermarket mods)
Land Rover Discovery (very capable with lift and tires)

Not on my list:
LR3 - too small, street oriented, never seen one offroad
LR2 - too $$$, street oriented, never seen one offroad

I'll probably get bashed for this list (bring it on!) but I'm simply basing this from showroom to trail. Factory options are in my thought process but dealer options aren't.

Heck, let's base it on TV commercials (since all you see is the truth on those ). Every recent commercial shows the above vehicles on beach sand or graded trails, nothing challenging. The H3 is at least shown doing some real stuff.

[/align]

Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: alrock

IMHO, I don't think there's a direct competition since most other vehicles need aftermarket mods to equal the H3. H3 comes ready to roll, others need lifts, tires, etc.

My list:
FJ Cruiser (needs mods to compete)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (needs mods to compete)
Jeep Wrangler - Rubicon (beats H3, especially with the requisite aftermarket mods)
Land Rover Discovery (very capable with lift and tires)

I agree, in stock form, I don't think the FJ can match up with the H3 offroad. You have to add aftermarket mods to compete.

How funny to read on the "FJ forum", they say their truck is the best offroad vechicle on this planet and can compete with the Hummer H1. [:'(] [:'(] Those people are funny!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:53 AM

...because I think, once you modified your rig, it's not fair to say yours is better than the other (stock). Unless, both are equally modified!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:59 AM

The closest competition is .... H3 vs. H3

Old 01-20-2008, 12:20 PM

out of the box the h3 is second to the rubi..sorry but that's just fact.Even in the adventure trim the h3 still comes with POS marginal AT tires. It will need new tires to even try to compete with a rubi that comes with MT's...tires are a mod...right?

Old 01-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

I would agree with impy. The Rubicon has an edge on the 3. The Rubicon is also a little more of a purpose built truck than the 3. Tires are a mod. I have always said I wish Hummer/GM would sell a "trail ready" 3 with the brushguards, UCP, lights, wheels and tires. Lots of us spend lots of money getting our trucks to the point they fulfill their off road potential. GM should capitalize on that.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:22 PM

agreed...finally a hummer owner that isn't a hummer homer like most. If hummer would release a real offroad packaged hummer with 2 lockers,35" MT's lights and pushbar, it would draw alot of avid wheelers away from Jeep....let's face it, the rubi has an advantage to most guys because you can pay monthly on teh lockers/tires that are included with the vehicle...where on a hummer you would have to pay for the vehicle, then buy tires, front locker, stuff that the average family man can't justify spending.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:27 PM

I agree with both Impy and 3Hummers. It would be nice to have that option off of the floor. But to be realistic, the majority of people that are buying H3's will NEVER see dirt, mud, sand, whatever. So it would have to be a limited edition or something, I would say that's what they were going for with the Tacital, but they missed the mark because it doesn't come with the ADV package. And they didn't upgrade any mechanical components.

According to BestStuff.com: "GM calls Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner and Nissan Pathfinder the H3's main competition. Among those, the H3 runs away with the "Best Off-Road" prize"

I don't know, I've never looked at any of them as being in the same class. Maybe I'm wrong, they just don't impress me as being able to hang "stock" with the H3.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:34 PM

IfGM made that statement it just proves that they are out of the rubi's class....better to lower the level of your competitors and win then go for the top and lose. Again I am not a jeep homer...I love the h3...I just think people are making it out to be more dominant than they really are. I think they are the best available for a balanced vehicle...on and off-road balance is awesome.

Quick Reply: What is the H3 closest competition?