PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

What to expect in snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Default What to expect in snow

I'm a new owner of a 2007 H3 with the stock Goodyear Wranglers. We had a brutal winter last year with allot of snow and we're expecting the same this year. I'm just curious what the opinions are on how the H3 handles/performs on snow covered roads. I will find out soon enough, but I just thought I could get some ideas. Last winter season I drove an 01 Xterra with new Forterra Triple Treds and also a 94 Ford Explorer. The Explorer was unstoppable. The Xterra did ok.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Maybe it was just me, but mine was horrible in the snow with the stock Wranglers. I used to have a Passport with Duelers on them and I couldn't make it fishtail when it was 4WD when I tried. The wranglers didn't seem to get nearly as good traction which surprised me since the 3 weighs so much.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

If you thought the Exploder was unstoppable, you will enjoy your ride this winter and be happy with your purchase. The Wranglers are whimpy mall crawler tire, but they should do fine for most of the white stuff. The stock Duelers on the adventure series do better.

Get some real tires, then you can re-evaluate your term "unstoppable".

Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 AM

mine did great in the bad snow storms. it blasted right though snow drifts and all.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Had no trouble at all. We have a smaller road that is not plowed at all during winter and it got through it no trouble. I have the stock Goods, but I am looking to change them soon.

What is everyone's favorite snow tire?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:38 AM

I live in Canada so I know snow!

Personally I felt that the stock wranglers were surprisingly bad. If you don't slow down far enough in advance, ABS will come on and you WILL slide, which for me was sort of scary (but I've learned my lesson that I need to stop sooner in the winter. I just wasn't used to it as my breaks and tires stop PERFECTLY in anything but snow.)

So unfortunately despite its offroad capability, the H3 still does need snow tires. ABS, even though it's obviously better than NOT having ABS, is kind of scary when you don't stop in time. This can be sort of annoying in stop and go winter traffic (be careful!)

I would like to get winter tires this year, I probably will.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 AM

If you think tires make a difference when wheeling, multiply that by a factor of 10. That's how much difference a good set of winter tires can make. On another truck, I went from a stock set of Goodyears (can not remember the model, but similar tread to the H3's), to a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks and you would not even believe you were driving the same truck. You have great clearance on the H3. Put on a good set of winter tires and I think you'll be impressed.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:47 PM

Thanks guys! Very useful information.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM

Put it into High lock and you'd be surprised how much more grip and control you get. trust me this car will never disappoint. even with stock tires.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 PM

I agree that the tires are weak in the snow. My last truck had the same tires, and I thought I'd get a different brand when I had to replace, but than I bought the H3.It came with same tire model as my truck had. The H3 can get away from you if you are not on top of it.The H3 is very forgiving with it's AWD and ABS and all the other traction control you have going on for you, but take it slow.
This is the best all around vehicle I have ever owned, and I buy AWD and 4WD for the winters, the ice and snow, not so much wheeling.

Quick Reply: What to expect in snow