PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

what does a cv joint sound like when failing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Default what does a cv joint sound like when failing?

When I start out in the morning, for the first 10 minutes or so I have an intermmitentloud noise from the front end. It almost sounds like an old rusty door, kinda like a creak and low pitch squeal (don't know how else to describe) but it is continuous while I am rolling at a low speed and turning mostly (although it is starting to do it going straight. It reminds me of my old 67 camaro driver door that was worn out and needed to be greased. Any ideas?

Old 07-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Default RE: what does a cv joint sound like when failing?

ORIGINAL: cisco

When I start out in the morning, for the first 10 minutes or so I have an intermmitentloud noise from the front end. It almost sounds like an old rusty door, kinda like a creak and low pitch squeal (don't know how else to describe) but it is continuous while I am rolling at a low speed and turning mostly (although it is starting to do it going straight. It reminds me of my old 67 camaro driver door that was worn out and needed to be greased. Any ideas?

A cv joint will essentially click when going around corners/turning.

What you are describing is not a cv joint in my opinion.

I would look under the truck very closely for rub marks and maybe some factory plastic shield that may have come loose and is rubbing on something. I dont have my hummer yet so I dont know whats under there. Hopefully someone else will be able to get more specific.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:08 AM

Maurader is right. I doubt it's a CV joint but you could have a bad u joint. They can make a squeaking noise at low speed if they are wore out.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:08 PM

What is the best way to determine if that is the culprit? Is it a tough fix? I found these on gmdirectparts, do they look like what I need or are there better aftermarket parts?

Description
Year
MSRP Price
Your Price

universal joints, hummer h2
03-07
$114.70
$67.98

Front drive axle - Drive axles - Propeller shaft - Universal joints

universal joints, hummer h2
03-07
$126.88
$75.21

Universals & rear axle - Rear axle - Propeller shaft - Universal joints

Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 AM

If you unbolt the driveshaft you can grab the u joint and turn it side to side and up and down. If it is good there will be no slop or play and it will move easily. If it is rough or binding then you found the problem. If you do have a bad u joint you might be better off taking the shaft to a machine shop to have them press it in and out for you. I would get the GM joints from the link you posted. The aftermarket joints are not as good as the factory joints. A u joint without a grease zerk is stronger than one with a grease zerk hole.
p.s. if you take off the driveshaft put a mark on the shaft and the diff to index it. That way it can go back in the same posistion as it came out.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 AM

when a CV is going it POPs.... they can click brand new and can click for a LONG time..... but when they fail they just pop and you loose all abilities to power that wheel (possibly both front wheels)

I would first just put some grease in your u-joint... check your oil level in your front diff.... if grease takes care of it, I would recomend replacing that U-joint..... you should be able to get them through napa or any autoparts store....