PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

what could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Default what could be wrong?

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, and new to the Hummer world. I bought a 2006 H2. It's my first big truck, so am trying to figure out it's performance and behavior.

I live in Chicago, therefore there is a lot of windy days around here. I was driving my son, from North Chicago to downtown. It was rainy, windy and cold (but not freezing). I felt the vehicle was unstable, like if it were slipping in the road. My tires are almost new, BF Goodrich all terrain, I have the original 17" wheels, and original brakes. Is it safe to drive this vehicle during winter? What can I do?

One more thing... we had our first slight snow and some icy patch in the highway and there where several accidents one of them involving an H2 and was wondering, again if it were safe to drive it. Please let me know your advice?

Thanks.

jro

Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 AM

Nothing is safe on ice! My h2 feels great in the snow!

Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 AM

All vehicles will slide on ice.. If it is super windy and you are on ice, be extra careful. Hummers are not aerodynamic so when its windy your rig is going to catch the full brunt of the wind so it could push you a wee bit. If your tires are decent which it sounds as if they are, you should have no problems and you are in a very safe vehicle. You could always drive a Prius.. Just joking..

Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM

I have an '07 H2 with Goodyear Duratrac's. I absolutely feel safe and agree with the other posters regarding safety in winter conditions. I can't tell you how many 4x4's, SUV, etc... that I have seen here in Colorado flipped (no Hummers though...) that were probably caused by over-confident and careless drivers. As a side note, I also own a Jeep and owned two previously and I would place them and the Hummer at the top of the list.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Make sure your tires are not overinflated. There is a sticker at the drivers door that give you the proper inflation pressure.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 PM

It may possibly be out of alignment. I adjusted my torsion bars, drove from the house to the alignment shop & it was very unstable. However if it was fine prior to the adverse weather this may not be the problem.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pappibri
All vehicles will slide on ice.. If it is super windy and you are on ice, be extra careful. Hummers are not aerodynamic so when its windy your rig is going to catch the full brunt of the wind so it could push you a wee bit. If your tires are decent which it sounds as if they are, you should have no problems and you are in a very safe vehicle. You could always drive a Prius.. Just joking..
Well... I considered a Prius... but I wasn't ready... I mean I was driving a camaro 45th anniversary that wasn't going to be useful during winter... so... I decided to get bigger... lol Your note is the closer description to what I had been experimenting. I felt like I was pushed. I had to reduced my speed from 55 (max limit here in Chicago) to 45 just to move without having that kind of push? Is there any solution to that? I mean, something that might help the rig to get some help with the wind?

Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 PM

Install a wind vein? Don't drive in the wind? If you feel that unsafe then maybe you made the wrong decision with the H2? Don't know what else to tell you...

Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Papito Er Bello
Well... I considered a Prius... but I wasn't ready... I mean I was driving a camaro 45th anniversary that wasn't going to be useful during winter... so... I decided to get bigger... lol Your note is the closer description to what I had been experimenting. I felt like I was pushed. I had to reduced my speed from 55 (max limit here in Chicago) to 45 just to move without having that kind of push? Is there any solution to that? I mean, something that might help the rig to get some help with the wind?
As a fellow poster said. Make sure your tires have the proper inflation as well. Especially when dealing with the winter weather as you and I get, it is a must not to have them overinflated. Nothing is good on ice, but if your tires is bogus, maybe its time for some new ones. I have Goodyear Duratracs on both my trucks and they are awesome all around, but real good in snow and are pretty quite on the freeway.. But when its windy just be extra cautious, and as you know just lightly hold the wheel and correct gently. But there is not much you can do with a square box to make it aerodynamic. You have a beast so it makes up for the rest. Post a pic or two

Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 AM

@Man1nBoat: is not that I feel unsafe, is that the car reaction to the wind was a total surprise. Therefore, I wanted to consult the experts (you guys), to see if it was a normal thing, and/or if not, which option I had. See, now I know, that nothing is good in ice (I come from the caribbean and there is no ice there), also, that there is something called wind vein. Could you please explain what that is? Cause that could be the solution.

About my tires... I'm running them on nitrogen now, so they should be nitrogen wise, good. That job was done at the dealership, the same they certified me that the tires were almost new. I think it is something more related to the wind than to the tires.

Again, thanks to all of you for your replies and suggestions. I really appreciate them, and as you can see... I am learning my lessons, on Hummer 101.

Peace to you all.

Quick Reply: what could be wrong?