PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

What are the chances...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Default What are the chances...

This is my first post and I first want to mention how informative the threads have been. I've been lurking around ever since I took delivery of my H3 almost 2 weeks ago. I would have absorbed even more if it wasn't for my wife telling me to turn off that @x#$ computer and come to bed. Oh well, there's always tomorrow night to learn more.

It's hard not to have a total blast with these things (car, truck, SUV or whatever we call them). I have thoroughly enjoyed mine- from the professionalism of the dealer, to the ride.

Which leads me to- What are the chances... ... of having to call our local tow truck company twice in 1 day? (2 different family cars).

It started when I (and a couple of co-workers) went to lunch in my 500 mile old (new) H3. Lunch was great until we all piled in to return to work and it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders (reduced power, no stabil and no something else). After several attempts to clear it, gave up and called the dealer. I might mention that my co-workers are now rolling on parking lot pavement. Dealer calls a tow service. And now my second mistake- calling work to get get someone to pick us up. The receptionist volunteered, but not until she mentioned that she would be happy to do so in her $16,000, 6-yo Chevy. And then, of course, there was round 2 of rolling around in laughter as they saw a brand spanking new, sparkling (no watermarks) H3 riding piggy-back on a flatbed.

The dealer could not have been more helpful. A rental car (Tahoe) from Enterprise was waiting for me and I was on my way with a free bottle of 'H2 Oh' labeled water. My 3rd mistake was going back to work with the Hummer Water. "That's an awfully small bottle after you just spent $100,000. They should have at least given you a case of the stuff!" I received a telephone call 1 hour later saying that there were 6 errors logged and it appeared that 'a wire connector had worked itself loose from a fuse block'. They mentioned that they had received a tech alert on the possibility of this happening. They are holding it overnight to check it out.

My wife feels bad for me, so she fixes me a nice dinner. We sit down and I get a telephone call from my 21yo son. "Dad, a piece of concrete from the curb was in the road and it took out 2 tires." To which I replied- "You should have had a Hummer!" "Don't worry son, I still have the number of the tow service in my cell phone."

Anyway... I am looking forward to lots of good times with our H3.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 AM
Default RE: What are the chances...

Welcome..the embarassment is what hurts..the H3 is no biggy..Damn it!..I feel your pain..Had you been driving a Isuzu rodeo, they all would've felt sorry for you and scratched their ignorant narrow minded asses, as to why this Fine Japanese automobile is not starting...PIGS!

Would you do us a favor and find out when you pick up your H3, as to EXACTLY which fuse and wire it is?....That would help a lot of us go looking and making sure that don't eventually happen again to someone elses..Thanks

Old 10-19-2006, 01:11 AM

You bet. Should get it back in the morning. We're planning to take it on the road over the weekend to visit our other son (KC to Chicago). Hope its fixed! OnStar is nice, but I sure don't want to push that button somewhere north of Des Moines!

Old 10-19-2006, 07:49 AM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] Sounds like you work with a bunch of guys I work with!!! Sorry to hear about your H3 and yes, please post the fix to your problem.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:06 AM

Glad they were able to fix it for you.Name:  welcome2.gif
Views: 112
Size:  3.1 KB

BTW, PIC's, PIC's PIC,SName:  wink15.gif
Views: 111
Size:  801 Bytes

Old 10-19-2006, 12:25 PM

We have had a couple come in that we had to replace the junction block.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:39 PM

I sold my BMW and bought the H3, I will admit that I have not owned an American made car in a looooong time, this is still a major fear of mine, I do not want to be stranded. OBTW, welcome to the forum from another new (1 month) owner. I have not needed a tow for any of my European cars ever, so I hope the luck continues with this GM product. Fingers crossed!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:37 PM

My wifes H3 has had the message about the traction control and ABS come on about 5 times in the last two weeks. No power loss or anything, just the message only. I have not seen it, but she drives it more than I do. I've heard some people say it's often a sensor .. maybe when theres no power loss (????). Our dealer is pretty close, so we'll probably take it in tomorrow and let them take a look at it. I'm SURE they have dealt with it before as common as it sadly seems to be. If it is a sensor, then it is likely that they had a bad batch at the factory, and perhaps a new one will cure it. We'll see. I guess at least at this point it's just an inconvenience, and not a debilitator. I *think* the only down side. when it's activated, is that the ABS or even the traction control might not function when lite. Anyway, we'll let them scan it and see what they can find. It also showed up on my onstar diagnostic report the other day.

Welcome to the forums

Old 10-19-2006, 01:44 PM

Fireman..

It really is a fault with the transfer case control motor and Yes, it's common and an easy replacement for the dealer..you'll be able to wait for the fix and enjoy their coffee and dognuts while you wait..providing they have them in stock...

This topic comes up often and the same discussion ensues...A quick "MAYBE" fix is to cycle ALL the 4Wheel Drive functions through about once a week to keep a set of monitoring contacts cleaned as you said, Monitor...But that only works in some cases, like mine as I've had the warning lights too in the beginning of ownership and since I've been cycling all the FWD functions weekly, the problem or issue has not returned (knock wood).

Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Sounds good, D. Hopefully it will soon be a thing of the past, that I faintly remember years from now. I just hope they have some in stock.. but I guess we should still be able to drive it if they don't. I just want to get it done, and be done with it.