PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Well I decided to trade in the H3....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Default RE: Well I decided to trade in the H3....

What did you expect? This is an AMERICAN car not a Porsche or Mercedes.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:51 AM

D VADER
Date 6/21/2007 2:48:43 AM

Personally I think you need to keep a car for 3 years to take the sting out of depreciation. Trading after one year is a bitter pill!!
Absolutely true.Timing, vehicle type, and condition all factor in. I am not sure about one's locationbeing as issue since we live in Michigan, and I traded in a Toyota which my wife felt would not get much (not many dealers in our area and a strong pull towards "American"vehicles).I traded in a "cherry" 2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab with the TRD package and was offered 6K less than I paid for it (Ialso received the "cross over" rebate from GM for my 07 H3-which you obviously don't get in a private sale). Since I had the vehicle slightly more than 5 years, I felt that I did really well. Could I have gotten more if I tried to sell it on my own? Maybe, but I have been down that path before and unless there is a significant difference, it isn't worth the hassle to me. We have traded in an SLTGMC Jimmy, a couple of Grand Prixs, and now my Toyota and have always done better than we hoped going in. We keep the vehicle purchase negotiations totally separate of the trade in discussions and have done well on both ends. About the only time I have seen a dealer not bring down the price much is at the very beginning of the new model year, or if a car is in such hot demand that they can get above sticker (anyone remember when the Honda Accord was in hot demand in the early to mid 80's?)

We NEVER try and move a vehicle for at least three years ofownership(my wife likes to trade in every 3-4 years which drives me nuts, but she pays for her car so Ican't complain) for just the reason D Vader indicated-a bitter pill!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 AM

If you really want to take it in the shorts...Buy a Land Rover, especially before they lower the MSRP on the next year's model...[:@]

Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM

Well I don't think I can stand to drive this thing two more years honestly. I know about the first year depreciation thing and have always kept other vehicles a while. I kept a car 10 years once and rode it all the way to $3200 lol. We actually saved a lot buying our pickup one year old and also in perfect condition. I think I'll put an add in the paper today and get what I can. I just thought this thing would do better on first year resale because of what it is. NOT. For Hummer acting like it's an elite vehicle, it's absolutely not. And EVERYONE has picked up on how underpowered they are. [:'(] Usually around here 4x4's do a lot better. I'd like to compare it's depreciation with other 4x4 SUV's in the area. I think this is pretty low.
I do like the FJ Cruisers but I need a bigger back door.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 AM

Well I put an ad on here and I'll put an ad in our paper next week. I'm going out of town this weekend and wouldn't be able to show it. It really isn't the vehicle's fault. I do think it could use more power but that may just be my personality. My big problem is that I got it to run errands with my daughter but when she's in her car seat she can hardly see out. I have to put her in the middle of the back seat for her to see at all and even then she's not happy so I end up having to arrange to drive the truck. She loves the truck, guess because she can see out. So basically since she has to go everywhere I go, I have to drive the truck or end up with a very unhappy camper. The big problem is that as she grows, I have more and more trouble lifting her into the middle of the back seat. (I'm not that tall. lol) I thought about putting nerf bars on it but I'm not sure that would help a lot since there isn't room for me to get in and sit down with her on one side of the car seat to get her in. It's a long story. It just doesn't fit our life right now and I had really hoped it would. I look at it and think, I still really like that thing! It's sharp! But then every trip in it is an ordeal.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

As curious as I am about why you say "Every trip is an ordeal", It's none of my business and I can understand. When my wife and I traded our Scion xB in for the H3, everybody in our Scion club and forums was in shock. I spent alot of time and money into customizing the xB. It was the first car I had ever owned that I dropped, put 18" low profile racing wheels on and customized the interior. I told everybody the same thing; it doesn't fit into what we want and need, which was a good car for road trips and off-road capable, AND the fact we moved into the country played into that also, knowing we would need something that could get around well in the snow. Unfortunately you ahve to find out the hard way sometimes when you buy a vehicle that it isn't the right one for you. Hell, this is my 12th car in 12 years so I know how that is, but I can honestly say I'm more satisfied with the H3 moreso then I have been with any other SUV or sports car I have owned. Everybody has their opinion and own reasons, but it's understandable, especially if you are not comfortable inside of it or not wanting something that is made more for roughing it then daily driving. I hope you are happy with whatever you decide to get. Just don't make the same mistake twice

Another forum member will soon fade to ashes. What's going on with this place? [&o]

Old 06-21-2007, 10:26 AM

If power is what you need, they makes a supercharger for this engine. It brings it up to 325HP. A lot cheaper than the depreciation hit you're gonna take.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Well said Mikey although is it always gonna be your life long effort to write a short novel with every post?..Back atcha

Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: D VADER

If power is what you need, they makes a supercharger for this engine. It brings it up to 325HP. A lot cheaper than the depreciation hit you're gonna take.
This is true, but that would probably void the warranty and if he's looking more for practicality (which I'm assuming) then that might not be such a good idea.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Well said Mikey although is it always gonna be your life long effort to write a short novel with every post?..Back atcha
Yes. Why do you think the server is so slow? []

Quick Reply: Well I decided to trade in the H3....