PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Warning-you need to know this if you own a H3

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Default Warning-you need to know this if you own a H3

Today I put the key in the ignition , put H3 in neutral rolled if away from the wall then disconnected the battery. I then rolled the H3 up to the wall, put it in Park and then could not take the key out or get it out of Park! It seems that if the battery is disconnected and you have it in Park you can not get it out of PArk. The big problem was it was so close to the wall it took 1/2 hour to get the hood opened and connect the battery. Once the battery was connected I easily got it out of Park and the key came out. If the H3 was any closer to the wall I would have never been able to open the hood, and I could not roll it back because it was in Park. I would have had to put the wheels on a dolly to move it enough to get to the battery to connect it and only when the battery is connected can it come out of Park or can you get the key out of the ignition.

If I had to move it on a dolly I assume I would have to put a dolly under the right front wheel and the left rear wheel as the other 2 wheels would not be connected to the transmission.

I think this is important for owners to know.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Default RE: Warning-you need to know this if you own a H3

I would guess that actually there is there is a little electric motor that locks the key in...so if there is no power, it cant release the key....?? Good to know I guess if I ever wheel it around without the battery

Old 10-09-2006, 12:21 AM

Good to know, but was it necessary to park it against the wall?

Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 AM

Next time you find yourself up against the wall

Try something like this to power up the electrical system..$70.00...Portable Cigarette lighter charger unit.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:12 AM

I discovered this little issue myself, but in a different way. I have a 12 volt cooler that I left plugged in all night once when I went camping. The next day my girlfriend's sister got up and left so she could get home to go to work, but when my girlfriend and I went to leave, the battery in the Hummer was dead, and I couldn't get the key out. We had to find someone to jump start us, and once the jumper cables were hooked up, the key would turn all the way to lock and the key would come out.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 AM

Zibby - I have to park it against the wall so my wife can get her car in behind the H3.
Dennis - That is a good tool to know about. THere is a thing you plug into the lighter to keep the clock and radio memory when you dosconnect the battery. I wonder if the 9 volt battery they use would keep the key from getting locked in?

Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 AM

I heard about those...You may need to parallel two 9 volters to have enough amperage to pull in the key locking solenoid....I donno..maybe one will work...But that's the general idea anyways..