PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

want to buy a 2003 h2 but has high milage please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Default want to buy a 2003 h2 but has high milage please help

can you tell me what issues I may be looking at I found a good deal for an 03 H2 but it has 180k miles this is why its a good deal if it runs without issue. I have never owned one, my brother has an h3 but I want bigger the thing ran great not many noises coming from anywhere I did notice an oil leak and dealer said they would correct it can you please tell me what you think some of the issues might be with that many miles thanks I do understand you may never know what can come out of a used car especially being I have no maintenance records but I want to be prepared for what the average issues are for a stock h2 with that many miles thanks

Old 12-02-2013, 05:51 PM

I have owned deuces since my first new one in 2005 (an H3) Check it out if it's clean then go for it! Although 180k sounds like a lot that's only 18,000 miles a year.
Here some issues I have been noticing on H2's since they can now be 10 - 4 years old.

-drivers side door hinge pins worn, you can tell as soon as you open/close the door
-on the 2003-2006 the map pockets on the bottom of the door panels are broken off.
- heavy scratching on the argent silver trim panels (radio surround, console top, door pulls)
- knock sensors
-infamous exhaust manifold bolts missing/ broken = exhaust leak
- Air bags and or compressor problems on Air ride equipped models
- heavy rust on the frames, (saw one the other day in parking lot,undercarriage looked like a civil war artifact!!)

What I have listed are issues I have been noticing on Deuces that are specific, sure others can add to it. If the interior is clean and the paint is nice go for it even if has a few issues. Mechanical repairs are much less expensive then paint and interior repairs.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 AM

^great points.

You have to look more at the miles per year then the total miles. Sure it has a lot of miles total but as AK mentioned it's not too much per year considering its a 10 year old rig.

Test drive it again and keep an eye and ear out for ANYTHING. After getting back crawl under the thin and see if there's anything out of the ordinary. Leaks, bolts that have been removed recently, scrapes, etc.

Just be thorough. Also run a carfax on it just to be on the safe side. I don't know that I completely trust the ones the dealer gives you when you ask for one.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Default youre right

yeah it looks great has a few nicks in the paint as to be expected for 10 years but other than that the inside is decent no major marks anywhere just a little faded, also to be expected. runs great didn't notice any unusual noises. I think the salesperson was not expecting to find a girl underneath the thing when he walked up, lol I crawled under and did notice an oil leak. he said he would repair it before I bought it. if I do buy it, I will make sure I get something in writing saying that any oil leaks noticeable in the next 30 days he will repair 100%. but this is it seemed ok. I am just worried I will trade in my exer so loved magnum with 150k miles still going strong for something that will leave me stranded. but I guess this goes for any used car. I was told I was fancy and love labels so I think a hummer is perfect for me. I have driven rvs, and huge trucks with boats behind them so I don't think the size will be an issue.. thanks for the quick replys and the help. you guys have helped me purchase my first hummer!!!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Glad to hear we could help out. Definitely as you mentioned get the repair on the sales contract so they can't go back on their word. Leaving you stranded....sure it's a possibility but I don't think its any more of a possibility then your 150k mile magnum honestly.

Plus you have pretty much endless resources here and between the other hummer forums for information if something does come up!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:42 PM

Keep looking and eventually you will find a low mileage H2 for a good price. Thats what i did.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by looney15224
Keep looking and eventually you will find a low mileage H2 for a good price. Thats what i did.
I agree with Loony...High miles usually means more headaches...Anyways here are a few Other H2 known issues..hub Bearings, air suspension issues, wasted front end parts,instrument cluster issues,heater control bulbs burned out...

Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Caraddict
I agree with Loony...High miles usually means more headaches...Anyways here are a few Other H2 known issues..hub Bearings, air suspension issues, wasted front end parts,instrument cluster issues,heater control bulbs burned out...
haha, my heater controls lost a bulb or two this week..

Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM

Nice I'm going for a 05 over 120k miles.