PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

VRBCS300W Wireless Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Default RE: VRBCS300W Wireless Backup Camera

Yeah saw this at Target also. Had it in hand , then put it back. Cant wait to see your thoughts on yours.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:01 AM

That would be me that returned the camera. It wasn't acceptable for a lot of reasons previously stated--- and Crank, you are right about it potentially having interferenceissues with misc other wireless products (including systems in the 900mhz range if it isn't shielded correctly). My professional recommendation is to choose a hardwired camera / monitor system if you want to go the camera route. You'll be happy you did.

Then again, doesn't hurt to try it if you can return it... just my 2 pennies worth.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:31 AM

I bought it... I've had it since about a month after I got my H3 (bout 6 months now) I'm happy with it... Its wireless so I forgive it when the signal is weak. I used double sided tape and stuck it on top of my rearview mirror, and hid the power wire along the ceiling and along the interior a-frame molding and down under the dash and wired it to a switched/ignition wire so it turns on/off with the truck. Instead of wiring it to the reverse lights I instead taped into the license plate light and ran it off the power from there... 2 good reasons why, 1. Don't need to try and run any wires to the interior and make it waterproof 2. The car doesn't need to be in reverse to see whats behind me, the camera is always on (if I dont want to see it while driving, just hit the power button on the unit and it turns off). Comes in great when parallel parking and there is a tiny little car behind you.

One major downside is that on h3's the license plate is all the way on the driver's side so it can be difficult to see something close to the veh on the passenger side. Of course the interference and sometimes weak signal I get I don't consider a con since the device being wireless is a major pro and I'm not trying to hide, run and manipulate wires all over the truck and lose some of the waterproofness.

I live in a large metro area and when I'm about town driving it is useless because of the interference but works well enough that I can get that extra help I need when parking. For price and ease of use/installation I recommend it.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 AM

I've had it since Christmas and think it's fine. I also have it wired to backup lights and it's powered to automatically turn on with the ignition. First one I got was the 2-button and I think it was defective...didn't work at all. I returned it (to Target) and go the 4-button although I didn't know that until I got home. thought I was just doing a straight trade. It helps to be able to adjust the brightness.

I never get interference when the camera is engaged but get a lot of random pictures on there while driving. I see images from in-store video cameras, outside security cameras and a traffic helicopter. I think it's awesome. You never know what you're gonna get...[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

In short, I'd recommend it for the price.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 AM

Thanks all.... Good input!
When I saw the video setup they had at the store the camera and 4 button monitor was 3" away. The picture was perfect. I guess I wasn't thinking about the distance and hunks of metal between it now.
I feel a little better and will give it a go. If it looks like crap, I may have some other aplication for it.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 AM

Great idea,

Guys, is this camera color or B&W? Also, any pics showing the camera mounted on the back and perhaps a pic showing the LCD display in the cab. My wife drives our H3 during the week when I'm on the road (which is a lot). I worry she may whack something..... she did just that on my old Tacoma tht had a camper shell, dinged one of those concrete shopping cart stall posts at the local grocery store. I'd die if she crimped the H3, or me doing it for that matter.

I've got a little CMOS spy camera that is about an inch square, it's wireless and it's color. Has a range of about 300 feet line of sight. It has a small RF receiver but no monitor, it's got RCA jacks to go out to video, no audio. I wonder if this would work? Anyone tried a home made system?

thanks!

Raymond

Old 03-13-2007, 12:10 PM

Try this thread, It has a few discussions on where to mount it, along with some pictures of mine mounted.
https://www.hummerforums.com/m_29816/tm.htm

Old 03-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the info.
I just traded in the two button for the four button unit. I don't know if that will be any better or not. I'll install later this month and then we will all know.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 PM

By the way....
I wish I could get an interface for my Nav unit. That would be the cat's a$$. But I can't find any H3 interfaces. There are plenty of H2 interfaces out there though.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 PM

Name:  backup.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  35.3 KB
The camera comes with extra long screws to use and spacers to put between the plate and the camera. It does obstruct the license plate light some. I placed extra spacers on the left/driver's side so the camera is angled out a bit and can see more to the right/pass. side.

Quick Reply: VRBCS300W Wireless Backup Camera