PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Video - FJ Cruiser struggling

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Default Video - FJ Cruiser struggling

I came across this Youtube link showing a FJ Cruiser really struggling over an undulating but not-so-bad trail. Its good demo of why a locker is valuable. Notice how every time this guy gets diagonal wheels off the ground, he can't move because his open differentials do him in. He can't move without a big guy's weight on his bumper to force a third tire down on the ground. With a rear locker, he'd have no probem as both rear wheels would drive even if one's in the air.

Also note how his computer-controlled drivetrain goes catatonic and nothing turns when it senses no traction. I've seen AWD's do this on ice.

I think Toyota marketing ought to be ashamed for giving the great old FJ name to this ugly thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jakPvVwuyU

Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Default RE: Video - FJ Cruiser struggling

guy should learn how to apply the brakes slightly with the gas to get the tires on the ground turning....idiot. Some people shouldn't be allowed off road[:'(]

Old 11-27-2006, 06:53 PM

Those guys were a bunch of Ham'n-eggers (translation= idiots)

Old 11-27-2006, 08:21 PM

Thanks for this video Sedona..CAN'T WAIT to show it to the hubby as he is still dinging me because I wouldn't even consider looking at these...wanted my darn Hummer and BY GOD, I GOT IT!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: LawWyfe

Thanks for this video Sedona..CAN'T WAIT to show it to the hubby as he is still dinging me because I wouldn't even consider looking at these...wanted my darn Hummer and BY GOD, I GOT IT!
There ya go!! Good job

Old 11-27-2006, 09:31 PM

What a collection of freakin morons!

Old 11-27-2006, 11:42 PM

ORIGINAL: LawWyfe

You go girl....and Welcome aboard

Old 11-27-2006, 11:51 PM

That video has been posted before, or at least I have seen it before. The way the traction control works in those things is when you are in low range, you hit a button on the dash and it senses wheel speed via the ABS and applies the brake to the tires that are spinning faster than everything else. I have seen it in action with tires off the ground, and it works pretty damn well. Although it requires some wheel spinning to engage, it is pretty darn close to the same effect as a locker, but it works equally on both axles. If the H2/3's had this feature as well, you wouldn't need to engage the locker very often.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:46 AM

Dont the H3's have something like that? I remember seeing a video on Hummer.com that shows how when one of the front wheels starts to spin, the traction control stops it completely...of course if you have a locking diff, this is pretty useless now that I think about it.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:49 AM

I think you're correct..H3's do have that Traction Control feature..But, when you engage the Lockers the Traction Control is Disabled and indicates such on the dash instrument cluster.

Quick Reply: Video - FJ Cruiser struggling