PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Vibration - yes I know it's impossible to tell why.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Default Al I know

All I know is the vibration is gone with the new front stops in place. I am not leveled either. 20.5" on the front. The ride was so much better. Let it be known one was 1/2 gone and tje other was sheared below the mount. If this helped the ride significantly could there be another problem that they are compensating for? Shocks maybe? I'm not a car guy so to speak and am learning as I go here so any advice would help. The shop I took to called and wanted to blame the hub rings and I told them they are on there you all did it. I need a new shop I think. They didnt even take the tire off and look.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:35 AM

I would still blame the hub rings myself.

A lack of progressive dampeners will not cause nor will installing new progressive dampeners cure a vibration.
What ever you or the shop did when replacing the dampeners fixed the issue.

Did you/they remove the wheels & tires to replace the dampeners? What other items/parts where removed to install the dampeners? Was any other work performed while the dampeners where being replaced?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:45 AM
Default Progression

I first balanced the tries. Added the hub rings. No effect. Had an alignment done. Got the stops. Installed them myself. Jacked the front up just enough to get to them. Tires were barely off the ground. Also added front mud flaps and chrome gas cap. Yesterday tires were rebalanced local shop that did them the first time said 3 of 4 were about 1/2 oz. off. They also checked over the suspension and found nothing. The drive to work will tell me much more this morning.

THATS IT! the chrome gas cap must be why...lol!

Old 04-04-2018, 10:10 AM

Well - the bad news- still have the issue, It's almost a shudder and it suddrs 4 times stops and then does it again repeatedly. it's more prevalent at 70mph but it noticable at lower speed just not as intense and it's still there. It was gone for 15 mins at highway speeds after installing the bump stops had the front wheels off the ground (barely) for about 2 hours. No codes from the engine through my obd2 reader. One more bit of evidence for you experts out there. It remains when shifted into neutral at speed but it is less intense than when the transmission is engaged. Wheels are balanced, hub rings in place, alignment is great and I've had the suspension looked over and all checks out.
The tires are newer - bridgestone Dueller AT 265 75 r16. Rims are after market from american racing.
Any other suggestions?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Cool

Sounds like something in your drivetrain is out of balance. Maybe a U joint is going south on you. Is it on one side vs the other? Front vs back?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:24 AM

Seems like front...I have had the suspention checked over no obvious problems with it a far as they see.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:56 PM

Maybe front prop cv joint

Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by BruceS
Maybe front prop cv joint
Well according to the shop - all is fine in the suspension, Interesting side note. I replaced the front bump stops with oem bump stops. First drive it was fine - now the vibration is intermittent and sometimes smooth as silk. So I woke up in the middle of the night and had an ides but before I go messing with it for weeks I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts and/or experience.

My front wheels BEFORE adding the bump stops (previous set was basically gone) were from center wheel to the fender at 20.5 inches. I measured them today and they are now at 21" with the stops. Research has told me that the stock front height was 22 1/4 to 22 1/2 inches. Would having the front lower be a cause of this vibration? Now that the stops are propping it up - they are in constant contact) I am getting less vibration usually between 40 and 50 and about 75 mph is when it is very noticeable. I also notice it happening more as I am going uphill and accelerating. I'm sorry my descriptions aren't great - I am most definitely not a mechanic.

One last note - I checked transmission fluid and it is full and clean, so is the oil and also the coolant. Sill no codes from my reader in history, current or unverified.

Last edited by mikes h3; 04-06-2018 at 02:18 PM.