PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

V8 engine option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Default RE: V8 engine option?

Thank you for the post CanuckZr2! Let me explain myself better in the 'not enough power' department hehe. I towed the boat for the first time across state two weeks ago. It had a hard time accelerating onto the freeway, but pulled just fine in 3rd and O both. In town I notice no difference from the Durango which is good. When I got to the mountain I live on, it has a long road going up, and the car just wouldn't accelerate at all in 3rd. The engine makes a ton of noise that sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel, but I never had any engine problems.

I guess it tows ok, but I just feel like I'm going to cause the engine to explode! My chief concern now is reaching it's max towing capacity. If it's rated at 4500lbs, and I'm towing that or more, I need to make some adjustments or buy a Tahoe hehe. So to be honest, while it tows ok now, I just feel it's going to blow the engine up whenever I have to push it, and it worries me. With a heavier boat, I am worried getting it home!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:18 PM

my anger comes from too many people not knowing what they bought and then coming on here to bitch about it....thats all. Now, you said that the difference between the I5 in the he and the 5.9 v8 in the durango was "extremely noticable"...did you not? Sorry but that is comparing the two.Again...very bad comparison, but that's besides the point. Like I mentioned earlier if you h3 is struggling that much puing a 2200lb load bring it to the dealership because somethig is very very wrong. If you cannot maintain a reasonable speed in 3rd on any grade while towing only 2200 lbs then there is a problem!!!!

The simple fact that this is your first post here leads me to believe.....well we shall see

Dennis.......LMAO....how's your popcorn bro?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 PM

Maybe you have head problems? Losing power? Dunno... Maybe you should have your engine checked or even dynoed.. A Catback exhaust, Cold Air Intake coupled with a PCMforless chip tweak should liven up that motor and ought to pull your boat much better provided there's not something else wrong with your motor.

If you're in anyway trying to compare the I-5 to a V-8 5.9L which is almost TWICE the motor... well, that's a problem.

Do you have the Adventure package? Or is it bone stock?

Look at some of the dyno charts on the PCM tweak, cold air intakes and Catback exhaust. Looks like you could add 30-40 HP at the rear wheels and that ain't nuthin to sneeze at for less than a grand.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 PM

Th addition of a trany cooler and upping the shift points will do a lot to help as well. Heat caused by towing will kill the trany.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:03 PM

I have a combination of Adventure and Luxury. So the total offroad package and larger tires, but also sunroof, leather etc