PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Upgrades done to brakes and much thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Default Upgrades done to brakes and much thanks!

Well I'm obsessed with this forum officially now and I can see it's going to cost me! I know I'm a newbie and shouldn't point fingers but thanks blackbear for the soundclip, Magnaflow is on it's way. Thanks alrock for the good comments on Airaid intake, that is on the way as well. I've decided to go with the 295/75R16 or 305/70R16 to stay in 33' land. I tow a 3500lb boat so the 35' concerns me a little. So with that, I have not run across brake upgrades yet. Have any of you done these? Slotted rotors, different calipers? I'm a Toyota truck/4Runner transplant so not familiar with the 'norm' or what's best on the H3. Once again, thank you all for the great information, my wife hates you.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Upgrades done to brakes?

From a a post by me in prior thread on the topic:

There are several companies make good drilled and slotted rotors for the H3. I agree with the consensus, you do not need them for the 3. The 3 is one of the few GM trucks to have adequate brakes right from the factory. GM has been criticised for being too conservative in brakes for years. If you want the drilled and slotted rotors to show thru your huge chrome rims, go for it. They will eat pads like crazy because the cross drill slotted surface INCREASES BRAKE FRICTION even though there is less total rotor surface contact with the pad. You need to run a hard pad, like titaniums, and they still will be chewed up pronto. Your front pad life is probably less than 20k. Yes they eat pads! The cross drill technique is to increase air surface contatct for heat dissapation and minimize gassing in extreme conditions. The slots are to clean/strip pad surface to increase friction. In wet braking it is hard to beat a slotted rotor. Since we are not racing road courses in the rain, I'll pass on this mod.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks Doc! I will leave well enough alone then. As for bling, what came from the factory (rims) is good for me. The only bling I'm adding is the chrome tips that come with the exhaust I ordered. But, maybe everyone should get some 'iced-out' badging. [:'(]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Humme...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

***** sounds like you are on the right path. Only have 10K on the H3 but on my H2 I had 50 K and still had 10-15K on the factory brakes before a brake job would be needed.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:28 PM

***** you should warn people before posting a link like that. I was eating lunch and almost puked it up.[:'(]

Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 PM

I have to disaggree. The H3 may have better brakes but far from adequate for it's weight, especially if you are towing. The US auto industry is just starting to get decent brakes. To truly improve your braking you need to increase the diameter of the rotors or the number of pistons. Unfortunately that means upgrading to larger rims.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: WillyH3
But, maybe everyone should get some 'iced-out' badging. [:'(]
ORIGINAL: fineseeker
***** you should warn people before posting a link like that. I was eating lunch and almost puked it up.[:'(]
Be nice now, my wife has those on her H3:

She said to tell you:

Old 05-16-2008, 12:34 AM

I like the brakes for the H3 though I hankfully haven't had to use them to desperation yet. As many of the towing threads say, if you are towing you do want trailer brakes. I don't think there would be an easy, reasonable upgrade to get a significant performance increase.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

I think the brakes work very well but I also don't tow with it. Not sure if I will get 60K out of them like the H2 brakes but they handle the weight of truck just fine.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:34 AM
CWS

ORIGINAL: WillyH3

Thanks Doc! I will leave well enough alone then. As for bling, what came from the factory (rims) is good for me. The only bling I'm adding is the chrome tips that come with the exhaust I ordered. But, maybe everyone should get some 'iced-out' badging. [:'(]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Humme...spagenameZWDVW

I thought those were supposed to be on a chain around one's neck? Ya know what I'm saying? Can you feel me ?

Cliff