PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Unusual Sound, What could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Default Unusual Sound, What could it be?

Today I noticed something I have not heard before. When coming to a stop ata light or stop sign just before the car stops I hear a grinding sound. At first I thought it was the brakes, but as I kept simulating it to test it I started thinking it was not the brakes. Maybe something in the front axle. It only does this right before the vehicle stops, not anywhere else in the braking process.

I will be setting an appt for an oil change tommorrow and want to know you thoughts before I take it in and the dealer gives me there thoughts. The vehicle has about 10,000 miles on it.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Default RE: Unusual Sound, What could it be?

Has the car been sitting for awhile????? If it has the disks could have rusted and the grinding is basically just taking off the rust. When i went away for a few weeks i had that issue with all the rain and everything my plates rusted and when i pressed the breaks it made a grinding noise until i cleared off all the rust. If not then i have no clue sorry

Old 12-04-2007, 01:55 AM

It could be that the front diff has lost some of its tooth (hope I spelled this correctly) and the loose metal there causes you to hearthese grinding noises.

I have3 friends with Toyotas that

I hope I'm totally wrong here

Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

You mentioned rear brakes and slow speed sound just before you stop.See this: RE: Rotor resurfacing bulletin

Old 12-04-2007, 10:05 AM

I have the same type of sound just like you desribing. the dealer told me the with the 33" a/t tires that when you come to a stop the weight distribution to the fron puts extra pressure on these wheels and since they have a semi aggresive tread it will create a growl type noise that may not happen every time. makes sense to me.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM

This post keeps coming back.... Remember to use the SEARCH function to get quick questions answered.

[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 12-04-2007, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

This post keeps coming back.... Remember to use the SEARCH function to get quick questions answered.

[sm=goodidea.gif]
I'm with you on searching for answers, but I did not see anything that I felt was similiar to what I was feeling in my car. I was concerned it had to do with the differential, but wanted some thoughts. Please, if possible, refer me to what you are suggesting, I would be glad to read it. It is not the sound of tire growl, it is definately something in the brakes or axel/diff. We will see what the dealer says.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:22 PM

If I had to guess, I'd guess it was that conniving IS 350 next to it - jealousy...

Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 AM

I'm sorry, I did a quick search but the verbage must be wrong. I know I've seen this post before. HUMMER has a TSB out dealing with a vibrating/ growling noise upon moderately hard braking conditions. My H3 does it and it makes me crazy. When you step on the brake it has a weird sound/feeling like there's something grinding. What it's doing is the brake calipers are vibrating on hard braking causing the entire drive line to resonate a vibration. You can actually feel it in the brake pedal.

Does this sound familiar?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

You mentioned rear brakes and slow speed sound just before you stop.See this: RE: Rotor resurfacing bulletin
I'm quoting myself? DO YOU SEE THE BLUE THREAD TITLE???? It's a link that we/I are/am referring to, please feel free to click it and read. [&o]