PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Universal Joint Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Default Universal Joint Noise?

This is my first 4WD vehicle. It's a new 2007 H3 with auto. In heavy traffic when I'm getting on and off the gas frequently I have driveshaft noises like there is slop in the universal joints. I've never had a cars do that before. Is that typical of 4WD or do you think I may have a problem? 3500 miles on the odometer.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Default RE: Universal Joint Noise?

Mine did that too and I was told it was because of the bad rubbermount on the front cross member (being replaced today) When I get it back either today or tomorrow I will post if thats what was making the noise.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'm guessing what you are experiencing is drive train slack. When on the gas the engine torque is pushed thru the Transmission, then Transfer case, then to the drive shafts and front axle shafts and rear axle. It is all under load under throttle. When you let off the gas, the components begin to unload the torque....coast if you will.....applying the brake will brake torque the components in the opposite direction so they are under a braking load. In between the gas and braking, when you get back on the gas you will feel a clunk like sound of the engine torque loading up the drive train components. In a two wheel drive vehicle you subtract many of these components, and do not notice the loading and unloading as much, sometimes not at all. If you do not hear any squeeking, grinding while driving/accelerating,or cannot twist free any play in the rear drive shaft by hand under the vehicle (while not running obviously ), I'm thinking you are OK.
To test this, next time you are enjoying traffic[8D], after a short "coast" off the gas and after letting off the brake, ease gently back on the gas, and the clunk feel should basically fade away. The next timegas on it a bit, and the clunk will be there. Of course, everybody driving near you will think you are a bit erratic, but they haven't read this thread
All my GM 4wd vehicles have done this to some degree, including my 07 three.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:25 PM

That was my thought too. You called it slack and I called it slop. A lot of high priced sedan are going to AWD. Cadillac has it available but I can't these drivers putting up with that. Is AWD different?

Old 08-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yes AWD is different. It is simialr to our h3s in hi......60/40% split of power rear to front. However, the Caddis do not have a transfer case anything like a 4wd. A guy in my office has the awd Caddi, and the one time I drove it, and few times I've ridden in it, I did not feel any noticeable slop/slack. I did not drive it in traffic on and off the gas, just a spin around town here? If it is a big clunking and bothersome.........take it in and let them have a look.

Since your miles are so low, I hope you consider a trip to Mi for some sand dune offroading at Silver Lake next summer!!! I'll post something in the spring and try to get as many tag a longs as we can.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM

Slack, slop, whatever you call it, it's a 4x4 oddity that you just have to live with. I have had 4 trucks and they all did it. The CJ5 was the worst but it had a bazillion miles on it and was never much in the fluff department.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

To test this, next time you are enjoying traffic[8D], after a short "coast" off the gas and after letting off the brake, ease gently back on the gas, and the clunk feel should basically fade away. The next timegas on it a bit, and the clunk will be there. Of course, everybody driving near you will think you are a bit erratic, but they haven't read this thread
All my GM 4wd vehicles have done this to some degree, including my 07 three.
I tried this after the dealer replaced the front cross member and I didn't hear the cluck like I did before they replaced it, not sure if thats what was making the clunk noise.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1305/A65CE0EC9CE743649A62C9678656ECCF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-15-2007, 12:32 AM

get under the truck with it off and try rotating the rear driveshaft...if it turns more than a little you may have a busted u joint or yoke. It could be a lot of diferent things though, could have a busted mount either motor,trans, or t-case...could even be a major component going bad...trans,t-case, diffs....or could be something as simple s loose lug nuts on your tires.