PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison

ORIGINAL: milkman

would you tow 5500lbs with your Alpha? (a Jeep Wrangler on a trailer).. I may buy one but I am waiting some real world opinions..
sorry to hijack!

thanks

Who is Jack???

Nope, but my Brud Ghostrider would.

Name:  n12101965_35247471_3355.jpg
Views: 2764
Size:  76.4 KB

I picked this pic from our thread by Ghostrider Silver Lake Hummer Happening - Michigan

Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mh307

Oh yes i agree that you need not drive the h3 fast to enjoy it. Wow, i like to keep her REAL slow. On a seperate subject, where can i find this pcm tune and how much will it run me?

Here [sm=hail.gif] PCMforless.com One of our sponsors. Click the link, and search the name in the forums, thereare tons of posts in a bunch of threads!!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

BTW.............Ghostrider does not have an Alpha, just an I5[&o] Thought I would see if anybody was paying attention.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM

I traded an 07 Silverado with 5.3L in on my H3 Tactical with 3.7L. I really haven't noticed a HUGE difference between the 2. I know ther is a hell of weight difference. I have since gone back to look at the Alpha ( I have a real bad habit of trading up fast!), and I just like the options on my Tactical to much to go to an Alpha. Nothing against it, I think that you just like what you like and the extra motor isn't worth giving up my Tact. I can do enough mods to mine to make "resonable". Besides, with the gas prices looking like they are never coming back down, not sure that I want more motor

Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 PM

Know whatcha' mean - I was going to do the tactical look on my Alpha and then decided against it. The biggest difference I've noticed relative to the engines' performance is the greater ease of accelerating the V8 has, particularly on the highway and uphill. The difference in hp and torque is noticeable and welcome but it is relative. If I were to compare it to one of my other cars, it's nowhere near as quick or fast, but then, that's not it's mission.

With respect to gas mileage, I'ma bit less than 1000 miles into this and only have two partial fill-ups I've done to date. However, the mileage actually seems pretty good so far with normal driving around town and on the highway. i'll start loggin mileage at the next fill-up.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM

Do you know what I love about this site? civilized debate and educated posters! I work in the motocross industry, and our most popular industry site called motonews is a forum for mudslinging, name calling, and a bunch of uneducated wannabe insiders.

Thanks for the review patches...I drive a base I5 (5spd) and your comments gave me the itch to go out and buy a new Alpha. However, I think I'm going to upgrade the wheels and tires, do a PCM4Less tune, and get a CAI and see where that gets me. Thanks to everyone on here...the quality posts are much appreciated!!

Old 11-29-2007, 02:30 PM

milage in my Alpha has been decent as well, hovering in the 14-15 range from 2 fill-ups...it really isn't that much worse than the 3.5L I5 I used to have, only got around 16 in that thing, plus I like the fact that the motor isn't reving as hard anymore LOL

Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 PM

Do these trucks start to "break-in"? I have about 700 miles on my alpha, and my milage seems like it is slightly improving. 11.1MPG's first tank, 13.8 MPG's the second. Should I start seeing more improvement?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 PM

I don't know. I'm waiting for mine to "break in" as well. I get 13.5 in town, and 17.5-18 on the highway. Still better then my 5.3L Silverado.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 PM

I test drove an Alpha and was sold on the H3 right then and there. I then rented an 08' I5 for a week and enjoyed it a TON. Had a blast hitting the trails and had a good time even cruisng on the highway. So both are great rides and really depends on what people want it their rides and what they plan to use it for.

Having said that, I agree with many of the comparisons made above and when the time comes for me to shell out my hard earned money, im buying an Alpha. All the differences and the "feel" makesthe extra money worthwhile. IMO.

Quick Reply: Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison