PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:44 AM
Default RE: Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Steve #1; the PCMtune I requested has the firmest shifts possible, and when standing on it, runs each gear ALL the way to the top, before crisply jumping into the next. Improvement in the trans., you betcha.
However, you made an assumption that is not correct as to engine performance. First you will note that PCMforless does not have AWD dyno results and does not claim specific HP/TQ gains. Look around on line and you will find some of their competitors claiming a 40 HP gain and similar TQ increases for the 3? I cannot stress enough that the PCMforless tune for the 07 H3 is THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK PERFORMANCE INCREASE YOU CAN GET. It has enhanced the power band into the lower RPM range and increase TQ, really it does not work as hard to get you moving with traffic. The timing (ignition and VVT) has been improved, spark curves changed, fuel mixture etc.... The VVT changes actually seemed to have changed the motor and exhaust tone (I know how that works and I'm not gonna bore you with it). In the mid to top end, it will make that I5 growl out some serious power, all on regular fuel. GM left a bunch of untapped power on the table with their middle of the road soccer mom like PCM settings, the PCMforless people deliver it to you. You can also choose a premium fuel tune, but at current gas prices, I am glad I did not.
I wasn't trying to say that my I5 is a V8, but it has much, much better performance now then when I took delivery. This is from a muscle car addict that has been tuning old iron(mechanically) for years and tried all kinds of performance products. There is no way I could spend $175.00 and 10 minutes on any muscle car I have ever had and boost performance as much as a computer tune to that silly little PCM has done for my 3. It has really amazed me, and I didn't even get my fingers dirty? Try it and you will agree.
With your joy stick, I know you would be truely impressed.

My man Patches has tunes to his and hers vettes, he is familiar w/ the impressive benefits a tuned PCM means to those bad boys, and it is every bit as worth it w/ the 3.
Thanks Doc for the detailed insight. Can't wait! my board's goin in tomorrow!!! I sort of wished now i went with option #3. will have to see if I need to send it back to Kelly. Let's see if the wifey notices the difference

Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM

I think the I5 gets a bad rap. I was "drag racing", and I use the term loosely,my buddies Silverado with a 5.3 on the highway. He by no means blew my doors off. I was surprized he didn't instantly get 10 car links ahead and keep pulling away. That being said, I really didn't"feel" like I was moving too fast at all. I think it's becauseit's so heavy and structurly sound. Just a thought.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:19 PM

would you tow 5500lbs with your Alpha? (a Jeep Wrangler on a trailer).. I may buy one but I am waiting some real world opinions..
sorry to hijack!

thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Black_Impala - don't get me wrong, the 3.7 L I5 has acceptable power for all it's driving duties. It will certainly do everything it's intended for. After living with my Alpha now for a month and 800 miles, it definitely is proving itself to be more than I had anticipated. I am coming to love this vehicle more every day.

Milkman, the Alpha is tow-rated to 6000 lbs. with a 500 lb. max tongue wt.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:51 PM

I understand. I traded my Silverado Z85 for my Hummer. My truck felt quick. I was just saying I was surprized that for as slow as the H3 feels, it is decieving. I still think the Alphas are pretty sweet.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:56 PM

thanks Black Impala!

Yeah I knew the rating but was just trying to get real world opinions on towing with the Alpha... Everyone is specualting but I have not got any real answers as to how it does towing that much weight...

I was glad to see this perspective also.. I am a former H3 owner (I had an early one with many I 5 problems).. and I am looking to go back if I get the right answer..I loved the truck

thanks

Jim

Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Yeah, my Alpha had some big shoes to fill - my other cars are a tad faster so what I love about the H3 is I don't feel like I need to drive fast to enjoy it. On the contrary, I enjoy driving it slow. (Did I really just type that???)

Name:  Duo2.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  126.7 KB

Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the thorough, yet very tactful review of the differences. I've considered trading up, but I'll probably keep my '07 Adventure and buy a used H2 for long trips on the highway. That way, I can keep the H3 strictly for wheelin. I'm only getting about 13.5 MPG, so I might as well spring for the H2.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Nice Vettes. My "baby" is a 94 Impala SS with 32K miles. Several performance upgrades and a set of chrome 20's. I'll have to get some pics posted. Even my avatar is a borrowed pic. Oh well it looks just like mine.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Oh yes i agree that you need not drive the h3 fast to enjoy it. Wow, i like to keep her REAL slow. On a seperate subject, where can i find this pcm tune and how much will it run me?

Quick Reply: Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison