PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Default Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison

I dropped my new 2-week-old H3 Alpha off at the Louisville Hummer dealership this evening to address a cold-start belt/tension-idler squeek I noticed last weekend. The Service Manager, Barry, wasamiable andcurteous and handed me the keys tothe new Gray '08 H3 3.7L I5that was to bemy loaner. This gave me the opportunity to try out two new things - Hummer dealership warrantyservice and the H3 I5.

It's a reversal of test drives in that the tester I drove before buying my Alpha was an Alpha so I've never driven the I5. Normally I would have tried the base model before driving the more powerful version but I hadn't even thought to during my search since I was only really looking at V8s. So this was a different way for me to view two different versions of the same vehicle.

First off, the dealer service has, so far, been exceptional in terms of response and accomodation compared to all my years of other brand dealer experience. I'll reserve any more comments for when I've completed this round of warranty service.

My drive home in the H3 I5 loaner was quite the eye-opener. Granted - two weeks in a loaded Alpha have spoiled me somewhat but I didn't expect quite this much difference. And, please - this is strictly the humble opinion of one lowly H3 neophyte. Not trying to start a pizzing contest about what option and trim levels folks choose for their own vehicles and which is best. Just relating my experience - Kay?

Power - Of course, the difference between the base 3.7 L and the 5.3 L Alphafuels the long-running debate about which is more appropriate to the task of hauling our portly conveyences down the highways and up the trails. Well, the I5 can certainly hold it's own on the surface streets and highways but the power - specifically the torque - deficit is noticeable. The engine is buzzy and the tranny has to shift more frequently to accelerate and climb grades. The Alpha feels notably stronger and more authoritative in comparison, and much less labored during passing maneuvers. It's also considerably smoother and quieter and the exhaust note is deeper. I found I needed to push harder on the accelerator to give the same effect I've been used to in the past couple of weeks. Also, I've been gentle on my beast during the break-in which is just about complete, (the loaner has the same mileage as my H3 - ~500 miles)and I have yet to peg the go pedal for the full effect so I think the extra power is easily aseat-of-the-pants kick-in-the-pants.

Ride/Comfort - Again, another unexpected surprise. The loaner is on the base GY tires without the off-road package. My Alpha does have the off-road package with the BFG 33-inchers. Also, the Alpha comes standard with the luxury package so the seats, coverings, carpets and appointments are upgraded. The ride in the loaner was almost harsh - nothing like the smooth, nicely-damped ride in my Alpha. In fact, the difference in the two is disconcerting because I was told the off-road package would roughen the ride - quite the opposite. It feels considerably more solid and controlled, luxurious in comparison, but still more sure-footed. The loaner bangs over bumps which are unsatisfyingly transmitted through the steering wheel.My Alpha is also noticeably quieter and richer-sounding inside. It feels like it is better sealed and insulated. I told my wife that it feels and sounds more expensive than the loaner. Again, unsettling because these are essentially the same vehicle optioned differently. To the base H3's credit, it felt nimble -a bit more than my Alpha, in fact. But the hollow sounds in the cabin and the harder ride took away some of thehigh-quality feeling I got initially test driving the Alpha

Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Default RE: Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison

I agree with you Patches, a very noticeable difference, especially when passing on the freeway after going 50-60mph

I drove an 07 H2 as well, pretty cool ride, the only thing that surprised me was that acceleration wasn't as much of a punch like the H3 Alpha, probably due to the much heavier weight & size, I wonder what an 08 feels like...

I came from the 3.5L I5 so the Alpha upgrade was unbelievably noticeable...which is why I've traded up!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent critique, and I agree that your perspective is different than most. I have an 07 I5 Adventure, looks pretty darn similar to yours less the nerf bars, plus splash guards. I do not disagree with most of your observations, the buzzing (I refer to it as Humming ) engine sound, and especially ths trans. looking for the right gear, most noticeable at expressway speeds on a windy day involving rolling hills!

I test drove an Alpha, only for a few miles not long ago, and I did not like the ultra luxurious and overdressed packages it was first released in. I do need a back up cammera mirror thing and all those extra bells and whistle for my truck, nor was I interested in paying for them. I did love the smoother V8, but it was not the performance boost I was expecting. It was still a heavy slow to accelerate Hummer, but the tourque did smooth out the trans. gear searching significantly!

I drove that Alpha after becoming very used to my 3 with mods, and my memory of the bone stock 3 performance has faded (I got CRS anyway). I installed a Magnaflow CAT back system very early in my ownership of my 3. That changed the buzzing little motor sound in favor of a throaty humming sound, and a very nice note of authority when you choose to mash the throttle. I noticed nothing in the seat of the pants from the CAT back.

Next was the ultra easy and affordable K&N air filter in the stock box. I've got more to do on the intake and will share what I do with the forum later this winter. Again, no seat of the pants boost there, and none expected.

Last, I did the PCMforless PCM tune. WOW. My 3 suddenly grew some *****! I swear it actually again slightly changed the engine and exhaust tone, but most importantly driveability increased dramatically. You do not have to press the gas pedal as hard to move in traffic, and the extra tourque has helped with the trans. gear searching issue more than I had anticipated. Big dyno butt feel now. Aside from trailer towing strength, I feel my 3 can basically run with the Alpha, but it is obviously not a V8.

Yet another perspective.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Patches you said it well! Being a owner of a H2 and a H3 Alpha, I think you would be surprised to here I love the Power and size of the Alpha Much more( H2 weight is much more!). I no you will have the none Alpha H3 owners that will say don't spend the extra money! But If they had too do it again and the Alpha was out when they got there H3 most of them would have got the Alpha! That why it the 4X4 of the year!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Excellent critique, and I agree that your perspective is different than most. I have an 07 I5 Adventure, looks pretty darn similar to yours less the nerf bars, plus splash guards. I do not disagree with most of your observations, the buzzing (I refer to it as Humming ) engine sound, and especially ths trans. looking for the right gear, most noticeable at expressway speeds on a windy day involving rolling hills!

I test drove an Alpha, only for a few miles not long ago, and I did not like the ultra luxurious and overdressed packages it was first released in. I do need a back up cammera mirror thing and all those extra bells and whistle for my truck, nor was I interested in paying for them. I did love the smoother V8, but it was not the performance boost I was expecting. It was still a heavy slow to accelerate Hummer, but the tourque did smooth out the trans. gear searching significantly!

I drove that Alpha after becoming very used to my 3 with mods, and my memory of the bone stock 3 performance has faded (I got CRS anyway). I installed a Magnaflow CAT back system very early in my ownership of my 3. That changed the buzzing little motor sound in favor of a throaty humming sound, and a very nice note of authority when you choose to mash the throttle. I noticed nothing in the seat of the pants from the CAT back.

Next was the ultra easy and affordable K&N air filter in the stock box. I've got more to do on the intake and will share what I do with the forum later this winter. Again, no seat of the pants boost there, and none expected.

Last, I did the PCMforless PCM tune. WOW. My 3 suddenly grew some *****! I swear it actually again slightly changed the engine and exhaust tone, but most importantly driveability increased dramatically. You do not have to press the gas pedal as hard to move in traffic, and the extra tourque has helped with the trans. gear searching issue more than I had anticipated. Big dyno butt feel now. Aside from trailer towing strength, I feel my 3 can basically run with the Alpha, but it is obviously not a V8.

Yet another perspective.
I wish I had the know-how to do those mods to my base 06 H3, probably would have been alot more satisfied. But alas, I do not have the time (nor patience) so i'll remain a member of the stock setup minions LOL

I really enjoy reading about what everyone does, makes me wish I worked in an auto shop instead of an IT office sometimes

Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 AM

i cant beat the 233.10 payment i have on my 2008 base. Mine feels as tight as a 18 yo virgin.rides very very nice... offroads GREAT. it stoo bad your loaner is feeling cheap to you.. only thing different is i dont have leather which if i really wanted would get... but once again the payment is cheap and the car looks $$$... I still love my hummer h3 and yes i5 is alittle weak but hell it works decent to me comming from a z06 vette its a cruiser not a racer. But great writeup and makes me want to check out a LUX model myself

Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 AM

Interesting take.

I'm still looking for a good comparison between the 5sp and the Alpha. The two times I've had loners with automatics, my take has been about the same. The 3.7 has some life to it, the slush box just doesn’t let you see it.

Doc, unless your PCM program changed your timing (requiring you to run premium fuel), the real benefit of your program is probably more in the tranny tune than the engine tune.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 AM

Great Comparison Patches. You touched on a lot of things that I noticed in the 3.5 and 3.7, which seems to be almost more tranny related (searching for the right gear) than engine related, and the bussyness of the engine. With the terrain around me, and previous experience with hills and the I5, I just felt more confortable and confident that the 5.3 had the extra oomph to maneuver well on hilly roads.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Steve #1; the PCMtune I requested has the firmest shifts possible, and when standing on it, runs each gear ALL the way to the top, before crisplyjumpinginto the next. Improvementin the trans., you betcha.
However, you made an assumption that is not correct as to engine performance. First you will note that PCMforless does not haveAWD dyno results and does not claim specific HP/TQ gains. Look around on line and you will find some of their competitors claiming a 40 HP gain and similar TQ increases for the 3? I cannot stress enough that the PCMforless tune for the 07 H3 is THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK PERFORMANCE INCREASE YOU CAN GET. It has enhanced the power band into the lower RPM range and increase TQ, really it does not work as hard to get you moving with traffic. The timing (ignition and VVT) has been improved, spark curves changed, fuel mixture etc.... The VVT changes actually seemed to have changed the motor and exhaust tone (I know how that works and I'm not gonna bore you with it). In the mid to top end, it will make that I5 growl out some serious power, all on regular fuel. GM left a bunch of untapped power on the table with their middle of the road soccer mom like PCM settings, the PCMforless people deliver it to you. You can also choose a premium fuel tune, but at current gas prices, I am glad I did not.
I wasn't trying to say that my I5 is a V8, but it has much, much better performance now then when I took delivery. This is from a muscle car addict that has been tuning old iron(mechanically) for years and tried all kinds of performance products. There is no way I could spend $175.00 and 10 minutes on any muscle car I have ever had and boost performance as much as a computer tune tothat silly little PCM has done for my 3. It has really amazed me, and I didn't even get my fingers dirty? Try it and you will agree.
With your joy stick, I know you would be truely impressed.

My man Patches has tunes to his and hers vettes, he is familiar w/the impressive benefits a tuned PCMmeans tothose bad boys, and it isevery bit as worth itw/ the 3.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 AM

Doc, you are so right about PCMforless. My biggest gripe pre-pcm tune was the shfit points. The tune helped out so much. Heck, I'd like the Alpha but I'm happy with my I5. If I owned an Alpha I would probably say it was good money spent but two things happened on the way to the Alpha ownership: they weren't out yet and I can't afford one (or not willing to spend the extra $).

Great thread, great writeup Patches.
[/align]

Quick Reply: Unique perspective - H3 Alpha vs. H3 I5 Comparison