PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

under water?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Default under water?

May sound not-so-wise, but let me ask any way. If I have snorkel and exhaust above the roof line, can H1 go submerged in water as long as the snorkel and exhaust stay out of water?[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: under water?

The electrical connections are not waterproof. prolonged submerging of your electrical connections is a very bad thing. Also the Hummer is not watertight. Water will come through the weatherstripping around your doors if they are submerged for very long. The Hummer can take exposure to water better than any vehicle out there but water to the middle of your windshield is not a good idea.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM

as 3hummers stated the civilian hummers electrical components are not sealed like the HMMWV... It is stated that our trucks can handle fording upto 30 inches of water without damage.... now I have exceeded this many times and really had no problems with my electricals... One time I put water halfway up my windshield for VERY short period of time(went too fast into a mud pit and pushed a bunch of water uphill... and what goes up comes back down and it rushed back down onto me.) The engine stalled(hydro locked it) but luckily it started back up after emptying the airintake of water.. That didnt mess any electricals up either and it has been little over 4 months i believe... but yea exceeding 30 inches is not suggested but have been done... as for totally submerging I'd suggest leaving that to the Humvee's

Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 PM

humvees have water proof gauges and a n/a engine -- being all mechanical there is no computer to fry. As far as the truck filling with water, that's supposed to happen (one of the reasons for the drain plugs me thinks). You should let the truck fill with water for better traction (or to have any traction at all). If you don't do this the truck will act like a boat and drift/spin out of control.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

I have had water in my truck and used my drainage plugs to drain out the cab but I have never "submerged" my Hummer for any length of time. Maybe I read more into his post than he meant but I thought he was talking about more than a dunking. Anyway I like playing in the water as well as anyone never looked at the fish through my windshield. LOL

Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Yeah, I've heard of guys going up to mid-windshield with water, but it's DEF. not advisable....

Drew

Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM

As others mentioned, there is a difference between a quick dunk, and prolonged operation underwater...

The air intake needs to stay out of the water via a snorkel no matter what; if you suck in water, even just from a bow wave, you will hydrolock your engine, and with the high compression rates of a diesel engine this will do very bad things very quickly -- water does not compress well.

The exhaust need not be out of the water for a brief trip through the water; if the engine is running, it will still force the exhaust out, unless you are in very deep where the pressure becomes a factor. You don't want to shut the truck off in the water though, for that would allow water to travel upstream in the absence of the exhaust gasses pushing out.

I have driven for a few hundred feet with a bow wave that went halfway up the windshield, with the exhaust underwater, and just a snorkel. I had no problems as a result.

If water comes into the interior of the truck, there are electronic components in the doghouse that are not waterproof; TPS, TCM, etc. If you were to operate for prolonged underwater trips and submerge these components, you will let the smoke out of these items -- and as anyone who knows anything about electronics knows, once you let the smoke out, they don't work anymore

Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Manny. You did a better job of verbalizing thanI did.