PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Two questions about spare tire mount and brake pedal!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Default Two questions about spare tire mount and brake pedal!

I am new to this forum!

I am thinking about purchasing a H3 but have two concerns.

1) I hate having the spare tire mounted on the rear door. Is there a way, or some aftermarket product out there, that I can put in place of the mount so I can eliminate the spare tire all together? I am willing to live without a spare tire...I just don't like having that big, heavy tire on the back door. Is there a rear door, or modification, I can make to make the rear door plain...without any tire hanging off it?

2) The brake pedal and gas pedal are too close together for my size 12 shoes. I have a heck of a time moving my foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal without 'snagging' my foot on the rear of the brake pedal. Is there anyway to bend the brake pedal away from the gas pedal to create more distance between the two?

3) I am looking at buying a 2006-2008 H3. Is there anything special I should watch out for on any of these models; i.e.: manufacturer issues, recalls, etc.?

Thanks to all!

Rob

Old 04-08-2009, 11:51 AM

welcome to the forum bro ..

1) yes there are many products as a replacement for the spare tire .. but i dont think that they would make the door plain

2) i hope other members can help u with that

3)i dont recall anything right now but whenever i remember something i will tell u

Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
I am new to this forum!

I am thinking about purchasing a H3 but have two concerns.

1) I hate having the spare tire mounted on the rear door. Is there a way, or some aftermarket product out there, that I can put in place of the mount so I can eliminate the spare tire all together? I am willing to live without a spare tire...I just don't like having that big, heavy tire on the back door. Is there a rear door, or modification, I can make to make the rear door plain...without any tire hanging off it?

2) The brake pedal and gas pedal are too close together for my size 12 shoes. I have a heck of a time moving my foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal without 'snagging' my foot on the rear of the brake pedal. Is there anyway to bend the brake pedal away from the gas pedal to create more distance between the two?

3) I am looking at buying a 2006-2008 H3. Is there anything special I should watch out for on any of these models; i.e.: manufacturer issues, recalls, etc.?

Thanks to all!

Rob
1) do a search on this forum. There are a couple different threads where guys take off the spare tire assembly and then have the back door plain. There is a rear vent back there that you need to buy an aftermarket part for I believe.

2) I have no idea, I have never tried. I wear size 11 boots for work and really don't have a problem with touch either pedal. Maybe try adjusting the seat.

3)2006 was the year with the head issues. If you are looking at one, you want to make sure to get a detailed report to see if the head had been replaced or if that vin is one of the Hummers recalled. Otherwise there really isn't anything to worry about. I have an '08 and love it.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM

2.) the pedal are too close for me too, size 11.5 but I guess I got used to it over time. I want to get the billet pedals, but i don't know if that would make it even closer or the same. i don't expect to make it smaller. You could always cut the right half of the brake pedal off and then cover it with a custom pedal cover.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM

11.5 steel toe boots hear and never had a issue in my 06 h3

Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 PM

Bending the brake stem would be tough, and probably damage it. Remove it and cut it, then re-weld, themadshredder has a good option, once removed, shave the side a bit. Even one quarter of an inch can make a massive difference. Finally, check the picture posts, lots of guys have mods that remove the spare. We keep ours on the top of the hood.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 AM

I removed my spare and replaced it with some black diamond plate that I painted and drilled, etc. I removed the rear vent on the tailgate as well and I sealed that open area with some double sided, thick weather stripping material. The plate needs to be around 12" wide, and 23" long (approx) and you can use flat steel plate or diamond plate (like me). I like that I can see out the rear window better, and have less weight in the rear. Additionally, if I back in to something or get rear-ended my tailgate wont get destroyed. Im planning on buying a roof rack and mounting my spare up there.

PS: I think the look without the tire is AWESOME!!