PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

TSB 07-02-35-006E steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Default TSB 07-02-35-006E steering shaft

TSB 07-02-35-006 (A, B, C, D, & E),

Needs Revised again to 07-02-35-006-F:

REPLACE BOTH STEERING SHAFTS!

Recently have been getting a knocking noise in the steering. Knowing the issue per tsb, I ordered the lower steering shaft (25900714), $87.25 shipped:

LOWER SHAFT for GM |25900714

Today, while installing the lower shaft, I noticed that the upper shaft u-joint was worn and loose, so I wiggled it, sure enough it was knocking!
Back to google, to search the upper steering shaft, I found:

15167588 revised: 19256702 new part number

The best price I could find ($99.47 shipped):

OEM Part Number 19256702 from Chevrolet - oegmparts

#17 upper #15 lower

Old 05-17-2014, 11:25 PM

Wow thanx as always Hummerz great info.

Gf's is doing exactly what you described.

hris

Old 05-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Drove it today with the new lower shaft and steering appears tighter, still has a knocking noise.. With the wheels straight, You can check the upper shaft u-joint by reaching inside the wheel well, behind the shock, above the frame there is a rubber splash guard stapled to the inner fender, reach in there and grab the shaft at the u-joint and push/pull, I can hear the knocking noise right there. 2 ends of the u-joint appears to have lost the needle bearings.
Both of my shafts are original, 7+years old, the lower was worn and severely rusted, and the upper is also severely rusted and worn at the ujoint. I should have checked before I replaced the lower and ordered both at the same time.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:38 PM
rsc

I have the pop/clunk in the brake pedal, I bet I just found the cause. Thanks for the follow up info on the upper shaft too.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 PM

My 08 had his issue and the dealer replaced it under warranty. My 07 doesn't have the same popping sound but it has a "gritty" feel to it in the gas and brake pedal especially when turning. I feel it a lot when going through bends on the highway and turning the steering wheel to maybe the 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock positions. I took it to the dealer and gave them a copy of the tsb but they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the steering shaft. Could this be something else that's causing this feeling in the pedals? If it most likely the steering shaft, can I just go to a mechanic and tell them I want to replace it?

Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Some tips for any DIYer's

Jack up and secure the front end, then remove the drivers side tire and inner fender.

No need for the J-42640 anti rotation pin tool:

I use a heavy duty rubber bungee cord, 1 end to the brake pedal lever, send the other end through over the center of the bottom of the steering wheel and then tie it down to the front seat frame mount.

Steering wheel is tight now and will not rotate!

Remove the upper bolt, (accessed from wheel well)after that I used a hammer and screwdriver to knock the lower shaft out of the upper shaft (hit the offset part on the lower shaft to remove)

The lower bolt at the steering gear is accessible from the wheel well also, however it may be tight, I turned the RF wheel by hand (NOT the steering wheel), to rotate the bolt, so I could access it from underneath, then used a long extension between the engine and frame. After I removed the lower bolt, I put the screwdriver up the open slot of the shaft and tapped it off the steering gear. The new steering shaft went onto the steering gear without a problem, I installed the bolt and tightened properly. I then turned the wheels straight before connecting to the upper shaft, and installed the bolt and tightened properly.

http://schwarttzy.com/wp-content/upl...eel-Column.pdf

Old 05-24-2014, 10:32 AM

Just replaced the upper shaft..

Some pics:

IMPORTANT To Secure steering wheel

Under Dash:

Remove knee bolster, shaft bolt, shaft nuts on firewall, & 4 bolts steering column to dash:

U-Joint On Upper Shaft:

Original Upper & Lower Shaft:

New Shafts Installed

Nice & Tight Steering And No More Knocking.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:47 PM

Awesome pics! I can't believe how bad the old ones looked. Where did you get the replacements? Mine isn't so much knocking but when I turn my steering wheel even a little bit I can feel kind of a gritty feeling in the gas pedal. It's driving me crazy but I'm not sure that it's the steering shaft since it's not the same problem I had on my 08. If I do need to replace it, your "how to" will be what I used. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:34 PM

I purchased both from the links I posted in the first post(excellent service from gm dealers with low pricing, cheaper with shipping than I could get local at wholesale). I too had the "gritty" binding feeling at first, then popped loose, then loose steering, then knocking... I have only put 6k miles on my rig in 2yrs +2months, and now the steering feels the best it ever has.

Last edited by hummerz; 05-24-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Nice write up. Thanks for posting...

Quick Reply: TSB 07-02-35-006E steering shaft