PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Default RE: Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)

Get the Predator black vent covers with the built in offroad lights. That'll take care of the chrome issue. And if you don't like them I'll buy them off you for pennies on the dollar.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HummBob

ORIGINAL: rhill20

Damn HG, 3 posts in a row. You have been around Bob to long
You say that like it's a BAD THING???[8D]
I'm being taught by the master, or it's just rubbing off on me

or, I'm creating the art of talking to myself online

Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hey mfish! I'm right there with you. The reason I change so much is because I get ideas from the rigs I see here and see how great some of the things look. I make the impression I'm making it look nice for others but my tastes have changed seeing the ruggid looks as of late, so I've changed with it.

I'm planning on getting some MT's either this fall/winter or the spring, depending on the condition of these when the next winter hits. I'm trying to milk them for as long as I can, but honestly with all the off-roading I'd like to do, I'm going to TRY to get some this summer. Our club has affiliations with local tire places that give us rediculous deals on off-road tires.

As far as the chrome, It surely doesn't fit into my scheme anymore. Thanks for the advice though, and don't anybody be afraid of hurting my feelings I'm a big boy, so that's why I ask.

Here's a couple of not-so-good pics of how the vent cover turned out painted gloss black with clearcoat:

I'll take some better pics this weekend. I'm hoping I can get the vent covers to match. It's almost a mirror finish when you see it in person.

I think it was either you or alrock that said with all the money i spent on the add-on crap I could have bought new tires. You're right, but I can't justify it when these still have half their tread, especially when money is a little tight most of the time. Sometimes you have to experiment and improvise and hope for the best!

Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Don't mind me. Just post-whorin'

I'm going to paint one or both of the vents tonight when I get home. I'm not sure if I should sand the chrome covers first or just clean and paint right over them. I'm just lazy I suppose

I should have enough paint left in that can to paint both covers. I'll just have to tape some plastic over where the covers went for a few days. It's supposed to rain alot the next couple of days. It should look great once it's done.

And another thing....

Factory Chrome Grill
Red color-matched Grill (well, as good as paint can do)
or
Black color-matched to the hood and vent covers....

What do you think?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 PM

The hood vent looks good!

Ideally I would say paint the grille red to match the truck. But being that it takes the brunt of everything going down the road you may want to consider the black, would be easier to repaint if needed I think.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Rich. I thought about that. I'm still debating it. The problem is for it to dry properly I'd probably have to drive without the grill for a few days, so I'd have to do it on a Friday after work and put it back on Monday morning before I leave. I can't do it this weekend because it's supposed to rain and I don't want the humidity to affect it. I'll think about it.

In the meantime, here's some pics with the vent covers painted to match. I did it last night. Hopefully they dried enough to be water-resistant for the storms later.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

I just realized the black paint looks a little grainy in the pics (Blackberry camera) but it's actaully very smooth and glossy.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:45 PM

Looks SWEET Mike!!!

I can tell it's Gloss!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks.

Should I paint the chrome Antenna cover to match or leave it chrome? That piece is actually stainless steel with triple chrome plating. I thought it would be a shame to paint that

I'm still debating painting the front grill considering how much of a beating it gets from the weather. I'm going to take a pic this weekend and have somebody here photoshop it with diff colors and see how it looks before I do it.

If not, then I may be done

My KITT plates should be here any day also! Finally [:@] 20 to 25 business days after they are shipped is what they told me. WTF!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

black vent covers look 100 times better than the chrome ones.... wise choice...

Quick Reply: Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)