PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)

Well, I'm a little over half way done with the mods.

After really thinking hard about some of it, I have excluded the E85 Flexfuel system, mostly because cost-wise it wouldn't make much sense, and there is no real hard data yet that shows the emissions levels would be dramatically improved. So far from my research, this kit only provides on average maybe a 20% decrease in emissions, when doing the math, isn't much at all.

No rocker panels either. I already had the underbody protection installed, so chances are this will not be necessary since I don't do any major off-roading anyway. I also may get the rear differential plate installed. I haven't decided yet.

The wood-trim is almost done. I'm waiting on one more piece. It looks nicer then I thought it would.

I also ordered some light chrome accents, so the interior will now be wood-like with chrome accents. Those haven't come yet.

I installed the new KITT lights (obviously) but that wasn't part of the original plan.

The bug deflector is installed. It fits very nicely and took 5 minutes to install. I'm very happy with it. It looks very nice on the red H3.

The GPS is set up, but not hard-wired as before. I rarely use it anymore since I know this new area I live very well now. It is velcro'd to the dash but not noticably. It looks more like it belongs there. I have the charger in the car in case it needs a charge, but with the battery-saving options the TomTom has, it probably won't need charging too much. It wasn't worth the trouble to hardwire it again.

I'm also not re-installing the radar detector. I have come to terms with the fact that now that I have had the H3 for over 2 years, I have become more concious of my speed and potential to seriously hurt someone, and I was never a speeder anyway, but I would however always end up going faster then I realized, hence having it in my car. I don't need it anymore since I'm paranoid about being at a reasonable speed now.

The CB will go in as soon as I figure out where the heck I'm going to install it. I still haven't figured out a good spot for the main unit yet. I really like the one my wife found for me, and know I can get smaller ones, but I like this one. I have a handheld, but want a permanent one, just in case.

The Backup cam I'm also hoping to get installed this week. I think I'm just going to go with the wireless one. That should be easy enough.

My wife and I talked about this also, and decided we'd much rather get the third row seating then new tires, considering our tires have alot of tread left. So, I'll probably have one of the only H3's in existance with third-row seating. We aren't sure if we are going to buy 2 or 1. I'm goin to ask the manufacturer how much space is available between the seats with two.

So, to those who aren't asleep yet reading this, hopefully all of this will be done by this weekend, and I can snap some pictures.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 AM

in NJ radar is a necessady...3mph over the limit is enough to get nailed in a radar trap around here...especially if the cop is bored...that's Good luck withteh cb..I have tried everything and couldn't find a mounting spot where your leg doesn't rub against it....I had to to buy the all in one cobra unti that a few guys here have to solve this problem. Good luck!! Lets see some pics of the wood accents. damnit!!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

I saw that Cobra one. That's the one I think of when I say a smaller one. How is it? HummerMike mounted his inside the armrest, but my unit is too long to do that, I think. I haven't tried it yet. It's just a pain to have to pull the arm rest up every time you want to change a channel or just use it.

I can't take pictures because I leave for work and get home both in the dark. I don't see daylight hardly ever during the winter months Pretty damn sad.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 AM

I have a few cb's thaqt i have saved from all my trucks over the years and the small cobra is a good little unit...all the controls are in the mic handet so it;s compact...and I can get them for you...CHEAP

here is where I put mine:

Name:  colormatched.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  67.0 KB

Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

I have almost the same detector you do. I can tell it's a Whistler. I like Whistler because no matter what new bands or frequencies that come out, they always seem to work with everything.

I thought i'd add that

Old 02-11-2008, 02:39 PM

I like that little CB....now that is handy! Does it have an exterior antenae?

Hummerguy, I need a pic of your rig with the bugshield....I bought the EGR one, and just haven't installed it....seems the brushguard takes care of any rocks now........

Old 02-11-2008, 02:48 PM

yes, it has the same external antenna plug as any other CB. It's a real cb, with weather and most of the features of a big unit just in a small package. The new ones are blue and backlit and come with a neon antenna...kinda gay antenna but the price I get them for is worth it just for the cb itself. here is a pic of the new ones

Name:  cobra-76xtr-2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  16.6 KB

Old 02-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Brandie: It's VERY hard to take pics when you leave home for work and get home from work when it's still dark I'll try this weekend when all the parts are on.

AND, I have one too......................

Name:  919149298_l.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  11.9 KB

Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM

it's called a FLASH

Old 02-11-2008, 03:22 PM

My CB install (with the all-in-one Cobra) and external antenna can be found here (with pics): https://www.hummerforums.com/m_107906/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)