PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)

Well, it's that time again.

Now that my interior was practically gutted of all add-on electronics, my exterior stripped of all reasonably-removablechrome accessories (goodbye, Knight Rider lights ) and all cliche dooky-looking decals removed, it's time to build the truck I've always wanted.

I'm doing some side computer business as well, soI will finally be in a position financially and wife-approvally to mod the rig the way I've always seen it and wanted it.

So far, here's what I have done (not like anybody cares [8D])

- Removed chrome hood panel and replaced with new factory black one
- Removed chrome lower grill insert
- Removed ALL add-on electronics
- Removed ALL pin-striping and decals
- Removed "crap" from storage compartments

Here's what I've added:

- New Horn
- Underbody protection (about time, I know)
- Rebuilt Transfer Case (not on purpose)
- Rear Differential flush and lube change
- Painted my iPass transponder black to match the interior
- Added a nice coat of Armor-All (had to make it look good for the dealer)
- New floor mats
- New replacement factory stereo
- New H3 badges (mirrored) to replace the old factory ones I removed.
- Added Schepel dealer logo and Illiana Hummer Club decal to the tailgate
- Hood bug deflector
- Dark Wood-grain dash kit
- Chrome accented interior pieces
- Re-install and hardwire my GPS
- Re-installed my radar detector, hardwired into the ignition
- Completed KITT lighting and sound effects

I'm taking my time to do this right and find the cheapest and best deals for everything I'm going to do, so it won't be finished for another month or two most likely, but once it's done, you best believe I'm going for that Ride of the Month again

I'd like to put a roof rack on, but then the H3 won't fit into parking garages in the city I use often, so that isn't going to happen most likely.

I don't know how many of these things I'll actually follow through with, but you can bet it's going to look a tad different then it does in the pics [>:]

My wife wants the MTs first and foremost, and actually has beenasking me to get them since we bought the truck. Doc would be so proud

Since she doesn't ever come on the forum, I'm thinking about surprising her with these in the next few weeks. I just have a hard time putting my old tires to waste. They have 49k miles on them, but still have at least 40% of their tread left.

That's my story. Please comment at your leasure. While I honestly shouldn't care what people say or think about my rig, I respect my fellow forum member's opinions and like the feedback.

I'm still a newbie at this off-roading thing

Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)

49K and 40% tread left???? WTH? I've never got passed 55K with any real grip left ontruck tires? I rotate every other oil change, or if the wheather sucks real bad, I might go a little longer in between. Did you actually do a tread guage on them? What is the Tire Mfg mileage rating on those things?

Keep driving the street slicks, get tires in the spring?

The rest of your plan is interesting. You need one more thing, I'll PM you later in the week.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

The past few visits, they have told me they are no need of replacing and in good shape. Mike has seen them. Maybe they have 30%, I'm not 100% sure. It's just an eye-ball estimate, but definitely not any immediate need to replace right now. I don't like wasting money, but we get REALLY good deals on the MT's through the club. I'll also PM you that info

I'll be anxiously awaiting your suggestions, excluding magnets and Tornado's of course

Now, I could use a SuperCharger

Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 AM

sell it and buy the new scion lunchbox...we all know your a scion lover at heart[8D]

Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

What little originality they had was destroyed with the new generation. They look like like smoothed-out sardine boxes. At least the last shoebox has some space.

We'll see what revision 3 of my H3 turns out like

Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM

looking forward to the changes. Get the MTs and sell the old ones on Craigslist. There's always a buyer.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

The last 30% of the tire tread always seem to go alot faster than the first 30% did. I think you will need tires sooner than you think. You are going from one extreme to the other. It will be interesting to see what your truck looks like when you are finished with it...again. Looking forward to it.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 PM

get the tires now, that way nobody will have to move rocks for you anymore . . . . .

Old 01-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Good Point 3hummers. I didn't think about that. What is the treadwear like on the MTs on average? Is it at least in the upper 300s?

Hey, I haven't gotten stuck yet....

well, except for that large hunk of concrete that somehow ended up in the riverbend that everybody was yelling at me to avoid but mistook that for some kind of congradulatory "You did it!"

Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 PM

pics...pics....pics

Quick Reply: Truck - Part III (Work in Progress)